back to article Japanese boffins plumb darknet for cyber attack alerts

Japanese boffins at the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) have been showing off a new real-time alert system designed to help security teams spot and visualise cyber attacks more effectively. The DAEDALUS (Direct Alert Environment for Darknet And Livenet Unified Security) system has been in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"DROP" them at your routers...

Spamhaus has been publishing its DROP (Don't Route Or Peer) list for a while, containing **a lot of** IP blocks stolen by internet criminals thanks to ICANN bad management of IP blocks - there are still blocks assigned to dead companies never reclaimed and so on.

This is an interesting application, but most of those IPs could be blocked at the routers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn awesome visual

And I thought etherape was cool!

3. Notas Badoff
    Alien

How long for Daedalus v6?

"The DAEDALUS (Direct Alert Environment for Darknet And Livenet Unified Security) system has been in the making for several years, and detects threats via large-scale monitoring of the internet’s unused IP addresses, which NICT calls the ‘darknet’."

And in the meantime we're on the cusp of IPv6. So make that the 'darkuniverse', what with all the potential addresses...

Do they mention IPv6 space?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

Get me Mamoru Oshii on the phone!

They have really gone for the Ghost in the Shell Aesthetics.

Where are my Brain Hacks and Cyborgs?

1. James 51

Re: Get me Mamoru Oshii on the phone!

that's the first thing I thought of as well when I saw it.

5. Cave Dweller
    Holmes

Wait a second...

This looks almost identical to networking in the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex TV series. And that was about 10 years ago. I'd link an image, but I suck at Google this morning.

Anyone else remember those cartoons?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Wait a second...

> GiTS

> SAC TV Series

> Cartoon

You better be trolling.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Next he will be saying he liked the dubbed version better because all those fiddly subtitles were a pain.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

I've seen a few, but I fell off it. I loved the original film (following Clarke, Bester and Gibson), enjoyed the second, and have yet to meet anyone who has seen Avalon by the original GITS director- live action filmed in Poland by a Japanese crew.

But yeah, seeing that visual - that's what the internet is SUPPOSED to look like. Now, where's my Ono Sendai deck?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Happy

> anyone who has seen Avalon

I have. Several times.

6. Thomas 18
    Thumb Up

Guess somebody

is a fan of Shadowrun

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contest...

who can make the biggest bubble? Firing streams of UDP packets into the darknet as we speak.

8. ukgnome
    Joke

Cool arcronym

But I am sure we can do better:-

Thinking the following system (because acronyms make me angry) -

Warning Attack on Net, Key Structures

9. Jeebus

Watch out for anything circling named "Icarus" that sneaky Bob Page has his fingers in many pies.

10. Ron 6
    Happy

Black numbers on a black background

"Each circle displays in blue the proportion of the network containing active IP addresses and in black those that are not used."

Black numbers with a black background? This is sounding a lot like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

11. David Eddleman
    Terminator

Daedalus?

"The checks and balances of democratic governments were invented because humans themselves realized how unfit they were to govern themselves. They needed a system, yes. An industrial age machine. "

"Without the use of computing machines they had to arrange themselves in crude structures that formalized decision-making. A highly imperfect and unstable solution."

"Observe your motivations for breaking the arbitrary laws of the current government."

...has NO ONE played Deus Ex? Do they not remember how well things turned out when a system named Daedalus was turned on and began to monitor the world's connections?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like