back to article German KIT v Fighting Seawolves in student cluster deathmatch

According to bettors, the upcoming ISC’12 Student Cluster Challenge in Hamburg will come down to a competition between home-country team KIT (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology) and the New York-based Stony Brook University Fighting Seawolves. (No, I don’t know what a ‘Seawolf’ is either.) isc12_odds_update The competition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Seawolves

A quick wiki gives:

Early when the Stony Brook Campus was located in Oyster Bay, the team was known as the Soundmen or Baymen. Throughout the 1960s when it moved to its present location, Stony Brook sport teams were known as the Stony Brook Patriots. In 1994 as Stony Brook anticipated a rise to Division I in the NCAA the nickname of the team was changed to its present one today, the Seawolves. The Seawolf was said to be a mythical creature from the Tlingit tribe which brought good luck to those able to see it.

2. Brian Miller 1

FPGA's FTW

If it truly is a "bring anything" game having someone get heavy with FPGA's would be a treat.

I am interested in what hardware they are actually using. Anywhere we can go to see that?

1. danolds

Re: FPGA's FTW

Hey Brian....I hadn't thought of FPGA's - that's a very interesting idea, but the problem might be tuning or recompiling apps to take advantage of them. I'll ask the team coaches and competition organizers about it. The winners in the SC version of the competition in Seattle were fairly GPU heavy and it paid off for them.

I'll be sure to post as much of their actual configurations as I can get my hands on. That'll probably be up on Monday or Tuesday.

3. jai

Stoney Brook?

Stoney Brook? For a minute there I read that as Stoney Bridge.

Stoneybridge!!!

1. Don Bannister
      WTF?

Re: Stoney Brook?

Mmm - tried that link. It came up with a message I wasn't expecting:

"This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"

I'm in Northern Ireland, which AFAIK is in the UK. Unless I missed something on the news ! My ISP is Virgin Media (cable), the location of whose IP addresses I would have thought were easily determined.

1. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Re: Stoney Brook?

Same here. No joy with said video (...It's Vid>AY<oh...)

Blocked cos I'm in the wrong country... I didn't need a passport to get into Basildon but it seems I'll need one to get out.

Such is life.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look what I found

The german Klusterkämpfer seem to have a website

http://kluster-team.de/

5. Old Man - Grey Fleece
    FAIL

Units

A power limit of 13 Amps? Just up the input voltage get as much power as you want.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Units

Yes and it also depends on whether those are "average" 13 amps, "directed average" 13 amps or RMS 13 amps, or whether a sinoidal form of the current is required.

It seems like you could get quite a bit more power out of a socket if you only were to consume power in non-standard and bad for the power network ways.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

A seawolf?

A seawolf is a wolf that can see. Sea.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like