back to article Flying Dutchman creates dead cat quadcopter

Dutch artist Bart Jansen has taken the aviation world by storm by rolling out the world's first dead cat quadcopter – a remote-controlled flying feline dubbed the "Orvillecopter" in honour of Orville Wright. The pioneering stuffed caticopter was apparently Jansen's own pet, who popped his paws after being run over by a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mark 63 Silver badge
    Coat

Orvillecopter

at first glance I thought it was named after Orville the Duck

2. Pete Foster
    Happy

Sustained Flight?

It IS ready for sustained flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4DZ_aWNuU

3. jai

it's all very well, but...

Yes yes, very artistic and all, but it's only a matter of time until someone does this with their grandmother!

1. Don Jefe

Re: it's all very well, but...

My Grams is about to pop her clogs after 101 years. She would love the idea a flying her about!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it's all very well, but...

What about Lenin? It be quite a thing to see something Soviet actually fly...

Anon, because I take my tea without polonium...

1. Stoneshop
        Go

In Soviet Russia, Lenin flies you

I take it you mean a Soviet person flying, cat-copter like, because they have quite a few things that do or did fly, such as Soyuz rockets, the Antonov 226 and a variety of Ekranoplans.

I'd rather have Kim Jong Ill Dead Il retrofitted this way, then equipped with a high-resolution cam. That would breathe new life into http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Flying pigs next?

One step closer to having to re-write the old saying.

1. Simon Harris
      Coat

Re: Flying pigs next?

Would the remote control be via Ham radio?

2. Stoneshop
      Black Helicopters

I wonder where that came from, as the medieval French already had flying cows and (British-built, no less) rabbits. Maybe because of the lack of guidance in those early attempts?

3. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Only when hell freezes over...

1. laird cummings
        Trollface

RE: ...when hell freezes over...

Hell* freezes over every winter.

The pigs will be doing their flyover very soon...

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

4. Archimedes_Circle
      Holmes

Hey, Swine Flu

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

So...

Where do you put the Batteries?

1. Graham Bartlett
      Happy

More to the point...

Mais ou sont les baggages? Ou sont les passagiers...?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Credit due?

This video was linked in the Special Bureau's GAGA discussion:

http://m.forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1431531

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Credit due?

Didn't see that, but yes, credit due - also to those readers who flagged it up via email. Cheers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The story was a bit late but then I understand the UK has been in shutdown for some reason for the past few days. But then pt2, the story comes from the Iberian office which hasn't, unless it's a case of any excuse to not do any work.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Credit due?

Ahem. In this far-flung outpost of Empire, we too raised a few glasses in honour of Her Maj Liz 2. And then a few more as an antidote to Elton John's obligatory royal performance. At least he didn't do a reprise of his sainted Lady Di funeral tearjerker.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I sent my son to the celebrations as my representative but in my little corner of the Empire everything else was as normal.

2. hplasm
            Devil

What!? Sir Elt passed up a chance to do Camel With The Wind one more time?

Blimey!

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

Brilliant!

I have only ever got as far as putting a Davey-Crockett (dead raccoon) hat on top of a Tamiya RC car for the purposes of confusing a cat.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Graham Wilson

Re: Brilliant!

Imitation* dead raccoon caps were all the rage when I was a kid (although I never owned one).

Dead cats prove useful: isn't there a book titled '101 Things To Do With a Dead Cat'? It must now need enlarging. One should mention Schrödinger too had a darn good use for a 'dead' cat.

* Real dead raccoons were a bit pricy I believe.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Brilliant! - Real dead raccoons

Not where one of my co-workers lived, she grew up in an area where a Squirrel-pot-pie was a thing...

2. laird cummings
        Coat

Re: Dead raccoons

Pricy? Not at all. All you have to do is be quick with the shovel first thing in the morning, before the roadkill starts to turn. Fresh samples nearly every day.

Mine's the patch-work fur job.

3. Richard Bragg
        Thumb Up

Re: Brilliant!

There is indeed such a book, as well as "Cat's Revenge - 101 uses of a dead human" and "101 more uses of a dead cat" now available in one single volume.

8. Mr C
    Unhappy

his own cat? is that even legal?

Ofc this is a 'real' dead cat (if we are to believe him), but still, am i the only one finding this lacking of taste..?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lacking taste?

You think... maybe just a little :P

LOL

2. Nev
      Joke

Re: his own cat? is that even legal?

Bit of salt 'n' pepper would probably sort that.....

1. TeeCee Gold badge

I recommend Mama Africa's Zulu Sauce.

Might even bring it back to life.

3. Stoneshop
      Flame

@Mr C: Re: his own cat? is that even legal?

You're kidding, right? It's not like the common moggie is an endangered species, so why would the legislature have to concern itself with disallowing taxidermification of same?

And yes, it's his own cat. I know the guy, and his prime motivation was to improve Orville's bird-chasing abilities, albeit posthumously. The latter condition slightly defeats the purpose, but the idea is laudable just the same.

1. Wize

"...improve Orville's bird-chasing abilities..."

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

2. Mr C

@Stoneshop: Re: his own cat? is that even legal?

Ok, so maybe its not illegal and it may not be a endangered species, but i can think of better ways of honoring your cat than turning it into a freakshow.

I mean, really, do you have to descecrate the poor animal by tying it to a flyingmachine under the pretext that it can now continue to hunt birds?? really??

If i ever catch my son doing that to our cat (either dead or alive) i would 1st think up of a suitable punishment, then sit down and think hard where i went wrong in educating him and making him care and respect any loved household pet.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @Stoneshop: his own cat? is that even legal?

>"do you have to descecrate the poor animal by tying it to a flyingmachine under the pretext that it can now >continue to hunt birds?"

Nine out of ten cats feel that desecrating, eviscerating and generally playing with dead animals is perfectly acceptable, nay laudable, behaviour. The chances are that Orville would have have thought the same. Had he been able to hold such abstract opinions. Which he didn't, because he was a cat.

[Hopefully Redundant Disclaimer: I'm not for hurting live cats, btw, just doubtful that they worry or care about what happens to them when they die. And I wouldn't skin somebody else's cat, as that could obviously upset a still-living human. ]

2. Stoneshop

Re: @Stoneshop: his own cat? is that even legal?

Clearly, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and equally clearly, there's more than one way to motivate whatever happens to said skin after the actual cat has ceased to be, shuffled off this mortal coil, joined the choir invisible etc.

3. Anomynous Coward

Re: @Mr C

Loved your work in the past but your negation state is not beating a boss drum here - if this sort of kit would fit you, me and everything, and the oxygen restriction didn't prevent it from working for a fatman under human nrg I would move any mountain to make it mine.

3. Gav
        Childcatcher

Re: @Mr C: his own cat? is that even legal?

"His prime motivation was to improve Orville's bird-chasing abilities, albeit posthumously."

So he's mad then? I mean all artist licence, eccentric genius considerations aside, this is mad, isn't it? His cat is dead, it cannot chase birds.. And why improve his cat's ability to chase birds? Is there a particular bird problem in the gardens of the Netherlands that they require culling? Are the Dutch not experiencing the same undesirable fall in bird population as the rest of Europe? Or are the non-existent desires of a deceased cat to be paramount?

So what makes the idea laudable?

1. SteveK

Re: @Mr C: his own cat? is that even legal?

"So he's mad then? I mean all artist licence, eccentric genius considerations aside, this is mad, isn't it? His cat is dead, it cannot chase birds."

Well, the aim was to improve its ability to chase them, not to actually catch them.. You don't know how bad it was at doing so to begin with. It may well be that despite being bereft of life, it is still able to chase birds better than when alive.

1. Stoneshop
            Go

"able to chase birds better than when alive"

Looking at the cows, I'd definitely agree.

4. peyton?
        Unhappy

Re: His prime motive

To improve his bird-chasing? Yeah right. My guess: as he was stretching out his pet's carcass over a frame and wiring it up, his thoughts were focused on the number of views he'd get on youtube.

1. Stoneshop
          FAIL

@peyton?

You don't know the guy. I do.

You're wrong.

5. laird cummings
        Coat

@ Stoneshop

" ...his prime motivation was to improve Orville's bird-chasing abilities, albeit posthumously. The latter condition slightly defeats the purpose..."

I would suggest that, given as he now has four flailing buzz-saws, one to each cardinal direction, his abilty to catch those birds he chases has been radically advanced.

Mine's the one covered in bits of feather.

4. Tel Starr
      Windows

I don't know if it lacks taste as I've never eaten dead cat.

1. jon 72
        Devil

Good texture similiar to ferret but less chewy with a flavour somewhere between that of stoat and a badger.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'I don't know if it lacks taste as I've never eaten dead cat.'

Have you been to a Harvester before?

1. Graham Bartlett

Cue the Ill Eagles "Cat in the kettle", and Carol McNelly's "McDonald's kitchen"...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I don't know if it lacks taste as I've never eaten dead cat.

Or so you think.

4. hplasm
        Holmes

Re: I've never eaten dead cat.

Think now. Can you be absolutely certain about that...?

5. Armando 123

This could only be better if the cat were still alive #dogperson

1. hplasm
        Happy

#dogperson?

Is that like Manbearpig?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.