back to article Fake Facebook pull-down tricks social climbers into swallowing vile load

Scammers are attempting to trick prospective marks into opening malware via spam messages falsely warning that their Facebook account is in the process of being closed. The dodgy email poses as supposed account cancellation confirmation messages that point to a third-party application running on the Facebook platform. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dodgy websites? I'm confused.

How can people tell the difference between Facebork and the scammers?

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

There is a logic fail in here somewhere..ah yes.

Since when did Facebook allow you to close an account? They're worse than M$ or the Mafia.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sir

"They're worse than... the Mafia."

Last time I checked, it's not as bad to fail to close an account as it is to shoot you in the eyeball and leave you dead at your own dinner table, surrounded by horrified family members and crying children.

I guess it depends on your priorities, but I'd rather that my social network account linger on a tape backup, than be brutally murdered in my dining room. I mean, just speaking for myself.

Maybe it's different for you and the prospect of Facebook retaining your mailing address is worse than the potential for your being the victim of a brutal, senseless homicide. Even if your account is retained in limbo, you yourself live on and on, continually reliving the horror of your physical mailing address remaining in the hands of Mr. Zuckerberg.

Whereas, after a few brief seconds of shock and terror, being strangled with piano wire in the rest room of the Olive Garden (when you're here, you're Family) is a one shot deal. After the moment of realization as the cold of the wire around your neck gives way to searing pain, after the brief and almost funny indignation at having to die with your pants down and a copy of "American Riflemen" on your lap, after the slow but rushing warmth and darkness, well - there's nothing to worry about any more, is there?

Hell, maybe you're right after all. It's a good thing I don't have a Facebook account. I don't even know how to -join- the mob.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Java Applet?

As in requires JRE to run?

Do home users really still install that? I haven't seen it on a non-Corporate machine in years... well, other than the rootkitted machine I cleaned up for my friend's daughter a few months back.

For 99% of users the only thing Java does is make them vulnerable to attacks like this. Unless you're part of the 1% do yourself a favor and uninstall.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Java Applet?

"Unless you're part of the 1% do yourself a favor and uninstall."

As if it isn't enough that the rich have the power, the women, and the cars - now they're they only ones who get Java, too?

There really is no justice.

4. Crisp
    Paris Hilton

Vile Load

Isn't the real Facebook a vile load too?

Paris. She knows how to swallow a vile load.

5. Elmer Phud
    Thumb Up

Emails

I only get the 'Facebook' emails on accounts that are not even on the same provider as the one used to register with Facebook.

6. Ed

Does anyone anywhere ever post a news article about phishing or viruses without a quote from Graham Cluley?

1. Dotter
      Happy

The man must be a celebrity in the anti-virus world.

7. Ned Ludd
    FAIL

Slipping

Five comments in and no one's used the term Farcebook/Faecesbook or gone on a smug rant about how they don't need Facebook because they have real friends, etc, etc... I'm disappointed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slipping

No such thing as a real friend.

2. toxicdragon

Re: Slipping

Its the very first post.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like