back to article Brits get red PlayStation 3 next month

Sony reckons British punters will warm to a red version of the PlayStation 3, which ends its Japan-only exclusivity with a UK launch early next month. Despite missing the rosy rush of Valentine's Day, Sony hopes the rare colour will be enough to tempt shoppers into parting with roughly £250. The 320GB console comes with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

I don't get it

If I was going to buy a PS3 I might prefer a coloured version for greater choice. But no way would I ever make the decision to buy a PS3 based on coloured versions being available, or trade in my black one for a coloured one at extra cost+hassle.

A slimline version is different, but what's the point of coloured ones so many years into the PS3 lifespan?

1. DrXym

Re: I don't get it

"A slimline version is different, but what's the point of coloured ones so many years into the PS3 lifespan?"

Because it's cheaper to put out a new colour than redesign the board and retool all the plants with the new design.

It's pretty common for consoles to do this sort of thing later on in their lives.

1. Miek
        Linux

Re: I don't get it

even still, it is a bit pointless really and why is there only one choice of colour? I'm with JDX on this one.

"It's pretty common for consoles to do this sort of thing later on in their lives"

Yeah, but, I still didn't buy a Wii just because they brought out a black one ;)

2. Paul 37

That isn't red.

It's pink.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My old Xbox360 used to go this colour

when it was on for about an hour.

4. Arrrggghh-otron

Sonys big plan

1) Release something that is neither new nor novel, but has been available for ages if you really wanted to go to the trouble of sourcing one.

2) ?

3) Profit

5. pPPPP

The Japanese love this sort of gimmick. They'll be all too eager to get rid of their standard playstation and replace it with a Hello Kitty branded replacement.

If you ever go to Japan, get yourself to your local Hard Off shop. This brilliantly named chain of second hand shops is full of yesterday's electronics gear (alongside a fantastic selection of second-hand CDs and loads of music gear). You'll be able to get a PS2 for a couple of quid and a PS3 for probably not a lot more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Hard Off

Sounds like Cash Converters, but without the inherent ripping off of both the buyer and seller.

2. Cazzo Enorme

If you ever go to Japan, get yourself to your local Hard Off shop. This brilliantly named chain of second hand shops is full of yesterday's electronics gear (alongside a fantastic selection of second-hand CDs and loads of music gear).

Yup, when I holidayed in Japan I was absolutely staggered by the amount of retro music gear that could be had for very low prices. Not only the stuff I was familiar with, but models I doubt were ever sold outside of Japan. Sadly I couldn't persuade the wife that it was essential I took some extra luggage home with us :-(

6. CraigW

six years old

The PS3 came out in 2006. Surely everyone who wants one has bought it by now?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind the colour

Never mind the colour, add to the functionality!

Bring back PS2 compatibility!

I would consider buying one to upscale my collection of PS2 games.

(I know second hand 60GBs have this, but if they're up for sale they're likely to have a chequered past and no guarantee, and I would prefer the Japanese PS2-on-a-chip to the European software emulation)

1. Systems

Re: Never mind the colour

There's no way in hell they'll bring back BC. They can make more money by selling you HD remakes of PS2 games.

8. tommy060289
    Happy

I like it

But I won't be buying it. I don't think a red ps3 would look right in my av cabinet. A place where my silver halo edition 360 looks rather smashing:)

If they'd have released a white ps3 however, well I might have made the upgrade to the ps3 slim:)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like