back to article LOHAN dives into Reg forums mosh pit

At the behest of reader Joeman, there's now a Reg forum open into which which you can throw your Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) comments and/or suggestions. Click here for a bigger version of the LOHAN graphic We reckon this is a better place to slog it out than in comments on individual stories, because we find …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Coat

Question

Have you considered hydrogen instead of helium?...

*cough*

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Question

Thank you for asking, that was the exact reason why I entered the comments section.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Question

I do hope that's not a smoker's cough you have there.

2. M7S

Lohan does remind me of

the ship from When Worlds Collide. Apocalypse, evacuation of the Earth etc

Is there something you're not telling us?

3. G R Goslin

reaction

You might want to dispense with the aluminium plate. The jet thrust impinging on the plate might push the payload on its suspension cable into an unstable oscillation before the plane has had time to accelerate clear of the guide rail. Instead put a collar on the guide rail for the plane to rest against.. Or turn the aluminium plate until it's edge on to the the rocket exhaust

1. Bill Neal

Re: reaction

I would think the plate would help maximize the thrust, as it would in any environment. Any unwanted "oscillation" shouldn't matter in the fraction of a second it takes to clear the rail. Have you ever launched a rocket G R Goslin?

4. Rufe0

thats nice but wheres the link to it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Embedded link in the first line of the article

It's a start ...

5. PC Paul

What does physics say?

Does a plate behind the exhaust actually have any effect on the forward acceleration?

I remember seeing it as a physics question but can't remember which way the answer went.

I definitely think a ground test should be done to check the induced swing the platform gets before the rocket leaves it. A dangling platform takes very little to get moving....

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: What does physics say?

It (the plate) doesn't help the rocket. If close enough it may even hamper with initial acceleration as the exhaust stream is redirected to undesirable directions.

Thumb down, not for your question but for the plate.

This topic is closed for new posts.