back to article Apple to maintain tablet lead over Android

Don't think World+Dog is bonkers for tablets? Market watcher Gartner does. It reckons some 118.9m of the things will ship this year - almost twice the number shipped in 2011. No surprise for guessing Apple will lead the pack - and then some. iOS will outsell its closest competitor, Google's Android, right through 2016, Gartner …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. qwarty

Gartner researcher can draw straight lines

Who actually pays for these simplistic 'if current trends continue' reports?

None of us have any way of predicting the Apple/Google/Microsoft split in two or three years time. Even those of us with far more experience in the industry than the Gartner researchers. oo many game changing variables in such a new market.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Gartner researcher can draw straight lines

Spot on. Really is just a bit of clickbait. Nice of Mr Smith not to include the link and waste everybody's time.

The tablet market isn't mature yet and there is still room for plenty of hardware innovation. E.g. whoever comes up first with a useable colour tablet for the outdoors is going to mint it.

2. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

Re:"...predicting the Apple/Google/Microsoft split in two or three years time....."

I entirely agree, given that the market is in it's infancy still and are any number of factors in play which may effect the way that it develop in ways impossible to predict such "analyses" are pure guesswork. One example: Gartner themselves distinguish between "media tabs" and "pc tabs".

The former being, for example, the iPad, the Fire etc. etc. The latter group consists, basically, of Win7 tablets which are currently (in the context) a tiny niche market. When Win8 is released it will be the first time that a full pc-tab os that is touch friendly has been released into the modern tablet market. It may do very well, it may fail completely or something in between but we have no idea because we simply do not *know* whether there is a market of serious scale for that type of tab until we see the punters' reaction en masse. How on earth does one make predictions about a market when there is a completely new and unknown factor incoming? A factor whose effects we simply cannot predict. The whole thing is nuts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Who to believe?

Gartner seem to think Android currently only has 29% of the Tablet market.

"Gartner predicted an eight-fold increase in sales of devices that use Google's (GOOG) Android operating system over the same period, reaching 137.7 million units. Android's share of the market will rise from nearly 29% to 37% during that period, the firm said."

However IDC say Android tablets are at 44.6% (compared to Apples 54.7%)

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/14/idc-apples-ipad-rules-tablet-sales-today-but-android-makers-will-overtake-it-by-2016/

"Overall, Android tablets accounted for 44.6 percent of all sales"

Personally, I would believe the IDC figures (or perhaps the Gartners ones don't include the Kindle Fire or something), as I know more Android tablet owners than Apple tablet owners, but that might be because I don't hang out in coffee shops all day, or work in marketing and PR.

Either way, this is all bullshit, i'm guessing Apple paid for the former report and Google paid for the later.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who to believe?

"I know more Android tablet owners..." cmon anecdotal evidence is bullshit. I know of only one person with a tablet and it's an iPad therefor Apple has 100% of the tablet market?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Silverburn
      Happy

Hi Barry!

Gotta say - this is a pretty tame entry for you...you on Meds or something?

1. James Hughes 1

Poor Barry

He's under the weather. His last stool contained no peas at all.

2. Arctic fox
        Trollface

@Silverburn. Nurse has clearly increased his frog pill dosage.

See title.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Just pointing out this is Gartner bullshit in response to last weeks IDC bullshit.

It's really not trustworhy news in any form whatsoever. Not that it won't be copy and pasted verbatim as fact in every forum on the planet... But then Apple knew that when they commissioned this report.

1. Silverburn
          Facepalm

Lemme guess...Apple also commisioned the IDC report too. The despicable cads.

Are there any market data reports which portray Apple in a favourable light that you *don't* think were commisioned by Apple?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

iPad is pants

so you can't be surprised the facebook generation are flocking to them!

1. Silverburn
      Facepalm

Re: iPad is pants

..because...Facebook users don't have pants?

Did I read that right?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like