back to article Verizon plans bandwidth-gobbling mobile video service

Verizon plans to launch a mobile-video service by the end of this year, a move that would put even more traffic onto its already overburdened network. "We could have something out that would be the beginnings of an integrated offering in time for the holidays," Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam told The Wall Street Journal on Friday ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So glad

So glad I'm dropping their sorry @ss this week. I've reported on here and many other sites (even their own!) that their 4G is a joke. I FINALLY have cable and will gladly spend whatever to break their contract!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can anyone afford such a data plan because this will probably end all you can eat contracts, though on the other hand the chances.of being able to download anything while millions of others are doing the same.....

A self policing service, high charges and impossible access. Perfect for not using it.

2. Tom 35

They have been trying to push Video to cell phones for years

Only a few people will pay to watch TV on a 3" screen. Not me!

"Obviously, most operators ... want to increase data use"

It seems to me that most operators want to sell data that people don't use. They get their shorts in a knot when people use what they sell them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can the consumer afford it?

Their "data plan" already costs $80/mo for a measly 10GB, and if you go over that before the end of the month they will be glad to charge you another $10 for EACH GB that you go over, or they will throttle your bandwidth for the next two months. They are not clear on what they mean by "video". IF it involves watching HD movies then the fourth movie in a single month could cost the consumer $35 just to watch it, being that an HD movie is typically 3.5GB.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like