back to article West Australian WiFi mesh sniffs out bushfires

A team of researchers from Edith Cowan University's (ECU’s) Centre for Communications Engineering Research (CCER) has built sensors which can sniff out a forest fire, then use WiFi to tell the world. Professor Daryoush Habibi, Dr Iftekhar Ahmad and Mr Amro Qandour wrote their own mesh networking software to pull off the feat. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge

25Km per node???

That's just mental!

1. Dr Trevor Marshall

Re: 25Km per node???

Everybody knows that a good sensor can smell fire 25Km away. It's not mental, just supernatural...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a GSM module which is used in sensors closest to civilisation"

They'll need something with a bit more range than GSM to do that in WA. I'm off to Boyup Brook this weekend - GSM signal=naff all. Then again, Boyup Brook <> civilisation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "a GSM module which is used in sensors closest to civilisation"

GSM may be unavailable in Boyup Brook, but it's only 4 nodes away from Bunbury. Hence "network".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "a GSM module which is used in sensors closest to civilisation"

I see your definition of "civilisation" is more generous than mine.

3. djnapkin

Bloody brilliant work, lads!

4. Dave Mundt

Another use for the sensor grid

Greetings and Salutations,;

I can see this as being a very complete, and inexpensive way to monitor a large area for a variety of signals. For example, one could probably attach motion sensors and video cameras, and use it as an automated sentry system. Because the network has a map of changes, it would be easy to tell when stations are taken off the air, either through normal failure, or deliberate damage. The system could easily transmit images and other sensor info back keeping an eye out for human movement, or animal movement.

I also suspect that it could be used in seismically active areas to monitor earth movements and other related data associated with earthquakes, etc.

1. Milo Tsukroff
      Big Brother

We'll be seeing you shortly

We have identified who you are and where you live. The proctors will be at your door shortly to install an update to your visiplate. Those who understand how our detection grid works and how it tracks all human activity, even in the vast uncharted outdoors, are dangerous and must be monitored much more closely. When the revolution comes ... we'll detect it and snuff it out. Long live Big Brother!

5. Adrian Midgley 1
    Thumb Up

An interesting bit of unwiring

The mesh might creep into the rest of the world, and carry rather more than fire data, in time.

6. Timo

if a tree catches fire and nobody sees it

does it make a sound? Unless I'm missing something, a brush fire in an uninhabited part of the world doesn't put any people at risk, or property. Animals are a different story... but then these fires aren't anything new to the planet.

1. Richard Freeman

Re: if a tree catches fire and nobody sees it

a brush fire in an uninhabited part of the world is fine if that is where it stays BUT Australian bush fires have a habit of growing and spreading rapidly and a smallish fire detected early out in the boondocks is much less difficult to deal with than a Large Bush fire with a front tens or hundreds of Kilometres wide threatening towns and other urban areas.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like