back to article Mobile biz bigwigs crack heads over Wi-Fi roaming charges

The Wireless Broadband Alliance has joined forces with mobile operator clique GSMA to put the most important part of Wi-Fi roaming in place: ensuring that everyone gets billed properly. Last month the alliance demonstrated how a telco could authenticate a customer roaming onto its Wi-Fi network using credentials stored in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This was achieved by using Hotspot 2 technology, which allows a mobile handset (or tablet, or anything else) to automatically detect, connect to and register with a Wi-Fi base station."

Yet more tracking.

2. Keep Refrigerated
    WTF?

Do Not Want

Will Hotspot 2 disconnect an already active wifi connection? What if a free wifi connection detected I have an AT&T sim card and so instead of letting me go directly online to the DNS server, piped me through AT&T servers instead?

And so is this going to be something we can turn off - for the 99.99% of the time that I don't want to connect to my TelCo and surf the free web whilst sipping my latte in one of the millions of cafes or restaurants that now offer wifi for free?

Seems like another backdoor way for the dumb pipes to try and take something relatively free (like text messages) and put a charge on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like