back to article China's soft censors clamp down on micro blogs

New research by a US university has shone a little more light on the murky world of Chinese web censorship to tell us that, yes, home grown social media is policed pretty damn effectively in the People’s Republic. In what they claim is the first study of its kind into “soft censorship” – that is, deletion of individual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeebus

Don't you dare speak out against the massive corruption and rights violations you automatons. How dare you find outlets that allow you to be treat as human beings and allow a feeling of wrestling control from a vile system and connect with your fellow country and world-folk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Little confused..

.are you on about China, the US or UK. Hard to tell these days...

2. Charles 9

Curious.

Going to the subject of using their real names, are they saying that each new user entry will thus be individually verified (such as by submitting other data) to ensure the person on the other side really is the person on the other side? Otherwise, I would expect a sharp rise in the use of more-fleshed-out aliases or, worse, the use of the identities of unwanted neighbors.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet many western Gov's wish they had this level of censorship...

The fact is China are trying to keep control of their population to avoid civil unrest...

With problems involving the Tibetans over the past few years, I am not surprised they are censoring hard.

The stupid thing is I suspect if they did open up their social media, and use it to their advantage, then the unrest would be quelled...

1. LPF
      Thumb Up

Well of course they are, they are only in power due to pure force, they Invaded Tibet a free country, to steal its resources but for the liberal elite thats not quite as bad as Iraq/Iran/Kwuite etc delete as applicable

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like