back to article World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Shipments of the long-awaited and heavily fought over Raspberry Pi boards could be delayed thanks to a manufacturing cock-up. The assembly lines churning out the first 10,000 units used the wrong kind of RJ45 networking jack, according to the team behind the $35 Linux computer, and the parts will need to be replaced before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. alain williams Silver badge

Raspberry Jammed

Come on El Reg, you are slipping -- that should have been the headline!

1. Aaron Em

Re: Raspberry Jammed

"Only one man would dare to give me the raspberry..."

1. Daniel B.
        Thumb Up

LONE STARRRRRR!!!!!!!

2. TRT Silver badge

Damn! Pipped at the post.

1. stucs201

Re: Pipped at the post

Well you're hardly short of upvotes at the moment, let someone else have their moment of glory.

(and have a thumbs up for pipped anyway)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Pipped at the post

and a thumbs up for you sir for being so sporting ;)

3. Wayland Sothcott 1
      Thumb Up

This leaves the door ajar for other microboards.

2. Stephen 2

I don't even want ethernet

I'll be hooking up one of those tiny little usb wifi adapters.

1. Mad Hacker
      Facepalm

Re: I don't even want ethernet

It comes with WiFi on board so why would you do that?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

no it doesn't

2. Mad Hacker
        Unhappy

Ok thanks for the 23 thumbs down. I learned it doesn't come with WiFi so my bad. Yes I'm willing to admit I made a mistake. I swear I read an earlier article that claimed both models A and B would have WiFi but model B would also include a wired Ethernet jack. I suppose what the article meant was that A or B could have WiFi through a dongle or that old specification changed. I've been following this exciting project from the beginning but since I only cared about wired Ethernet I didn't look too closely at WiFi options.

Verified there is NO WiFi included via their FAQ here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

1. Yoss
          Happy

How dare you be WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

Sorry, just kidding. Upvoted.

3. Audrey S. Thackeray

Thank heavens

Imagine the scandal in decent society if everyone started blowing raspberries.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Thank heavens

I did briefly wonder who it was that would be likely to put serious volts down the Ethernet port in the first place, but the answer's obvious.

Raspberry Fools.

1. TRT Silver badge

Dunno. I reckon PoE would be a rather useful thing for this little gadget to have.

1. Dunstan Vavasour

PoE

They've stated that PoE is on the wish list for later models, if it can be provided at the right price.

2. Jim 59

Scandal

Indeed. It would be the worst scandal since The Phantom Rasberry Blower of Old London Town.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Scandal

ah, one of Barker and Milligan's finest moments

3. John Bailey

Especially if done in old London town by a phantom...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. shakey

"The winners will be chosen on “Pi Day”, 3/14/12"

So what exactly is the 14th month of the year?

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

<Insert American Pi(e) joke here>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shhhh you're only supposed to criticise when OTHER companies are being American-centric.

Raspberry Pi has diplomatic immunity.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Duodecember.....

4. Mark #255
      Coat

I'll be celebrating Approximate Pi Day on the 22nd of July.

5. DJO Silver badge
      Headmaster

It's a silly typo, it should read 31/4/12 but it wont really be pi day until 3 years time on 31/4/15 at 9:26:53 (and 589.7932ms).

1. The Wegie

Re: it's a silly typo

"It's a silly typo, it should read 31/4/12 but it wont really be pi day until 3 years time on 31/4/15 at 9:26:53 (and 589.)."

If you manage to find a 31st of April, you will have done better than Bergholt Stuttley Johnson did when redefining Pi as 3... and we all know what the sorting machine managed.

2. Michael Dunn

Sorry mate, I made this very point in a post on another site a couple of years ago, only to have it pointed out to me that 31st April was in fact May Day.

6. Dexter Berlekey
      Paris Hilton

Also, I thought 14th March had a different name, at least that is what I told the missus.

6. Dark haired lord of the undercliff
    Coat

I think you can get rj45 connectors in rs catalogue, or farnel, give that a go

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

I suspect that they tried that, but found that both their ordering systems were down for some unfathomable reason....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

well that probably unfathomable because of irrational infinite pi

7. Liam Johnson

Pi Day

That is not until 2015, even assuming the American Notation.

3/14/15

1. Martin
      Headmaster

Re: Pi Day

Actually, 3/14/16.

1. GumboKing
        Headmaster

Actually 3/14/15 9:26:53.589793238 if you want to be a true pedant down to the nanosecond.

1. Tony S

If you want to be a real pedant, this year is actually 2017. There was a mistake made way back in the 1st millenium when they were converting form Roman Numerals to Arabic numerals. As a result, they think that JC was actually born in the year 5 BC (Possibly 6 BC, they are still arguing over that).

And of course, we all know that December is actually the tenth month, because the new year wasn't always January 1st.

Plus when we moved from Julian to Gregorian calendars, we lost 11 days. But even worse, when they started moving the number of days between months (Julius wanted his month of July to have more days than the others, and Augustus thought that a good plan so copied him). That has resulted in a fair amount of confusion over dates and the scholars are still coming to blows over it.

And of course of all of that is only relevant if you use the Western calendar. For those of the Hebrew faith, it is 5772 - for Moslems it is 1433. For the Thai people it is 2555. For some, it is the year AE 67 (Atomic Era), while in the Brave New World, it is AF 110 (After Ford). Those that cling to the French Republican calendar would insist it is 218.

Yes - I have too much time on my hands.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
            Coat

For those still using the Mayan Long Count calendar, it doesn't matter what bloody year it is as the world just ended.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

LOL up vote for non standard thinking, id give you +10 for that but im not allowed, thank god Einstein said and proved time is relative LOL, but what does that mean for space, welcome to the wonderful world of irrational infinite pi spacetime

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

thats not being pedantic only measuring in the massive nanoseconds scale, you want to be far more pedantic than that...., you need to at least skip over the pico, femto, atto, and zepto scale and measure down to the yocto scale or better at least :)

2. Liam Johnson
        Facepalm

@Martin

Why would Pi-Day fall one year after Pi-Second or Pi-Nanosecond, as GumboKing points out?

1. Will's

@Liam, Re: @Martin

Rounding errors combined with big-LITTLE notation.

Or Date-endianness issues

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose it's too late to email the customers

Since they're probably tech savvy, they might well accept an unprotected board at their own risk. I'm sure an adaptor can be cobbled together quite quickly.

BTW, it'd be quite useful to be able to buy a small panel that brings out all the Pi's sockets (with cables behind the panel to plug into the Pi). It would make casing the Pi up much easier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I suppose it's too late to email the customers

I forgot to add that a case for this board should surely be known as a Pi Tin.

1. Simon Harris
        Coat

"I forgot to add that a case for this board should surely be known as a Pi Tin."

If I were to leave the top off the case, would it be a Raspberry Flan instead of a Pi ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's not adaptor for this and it's not just a protection measure, it's essential when connecting an unbalanced load to the balanced Base-T cable- you'll burn off the Ethernet controller inputs without them.

This isn't just a surge protector.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'There's not an adaptor for this...'

Sigh. And we are all physically incapable of Googling for one, or failing that, getting out the bloody soldering iron and kluging together some spare bits from the junk box. Oh no, I might damage my manicure!

I dunno - the youth of today.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Holmes

These seem pretty complex. Here is the first link that pops up. Check out the wiring diagram on page 3:

http://www.molex.com/mx_upload/family/magnetic_modular_jacks/hypejak.pdf

9. daviduk

Surely Pi-Day should be 22/7 ? :)

1. Simon Harris
      Thumb Up

I believe 22nd July is already designated Pi Approximation Day

http://piapproximationday.com/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Approximation?

22/7 is closer to PI than 3.14

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.