back to article Microsoft: Cloud will fluff 14 million jobs by 2015

A study commissioned by Microsoft reckons that global cloud services will generate nearly 14 million jobs between 2011 and 2015, and that "IT innovation created by cloud computing" could produce $1.1 trillion in new annual revenues by 2015. "The cloud is going to have a huge impact on job creation," said Microsoft cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bluenose
    Happy

Net or Gross?

are these number net or gross taking in to account the number of jobs that will be lost as a result of Cloud? And what is the financial impact of that?

More data needed although great marketing hype from Microsoft as usual.

2. Chris Miller
    WTF?

For a sufficiently small value of 'cloud'

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.'

If I put a managed web server into colocation, is that a 'cloud'? If I use salesforce.com in the office, is that a 'cloud'? Does anyone understand WTF they're talking about (of course not, they're in Marketing)?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the jobs? Oh, they're in the cloud!

4. Richard Plinston

>That mind-boggling $1.1 trillion incremental revenue growth,

Much of that revenue will be the cloud companies raking in the monthly charges. In the businesses this is called 'cost'.

> freeing up business dollars from maintenance of legacy systems

'Maintenance' of 'legacy systems' is actually changing the way the computer system works to suit the changing needs of the business. Stop doing that and the business will be locked into what the computer currently allows leading to stagnation in a changing world.

> and routine upgrades

This is what it is really about. Use the cloud and you will be automatically using (and paying for) the latest upgrades whether you want them or not. All those Windows XP, Vista and 7 users, and all those Office 97, 2003 and 2010 will soon have Windows 8 and Office 14 forced down their throats, and then they will be handed the bills.

Well, there is 90% of the 1.1 Trillion revenue growth right there.

5. Khaptain Silver badge
    FAIL

Slightly optimistic

Over a period of fours years that relates to about 9600 being created "every single day". I am sure that even the governments have difficulty arriving at the level of optimism.

Cloud computing is good for some companies but not all, any business critical cannot rely on the cloud. Fully redundnant Internet links are too expensie for most companies, secondary backup locations are out of the question. So outside of the larger corporations, who already use data centres, who is the intended audience ?

14 Million jobs is a large figure without some very concrete facts..

Was this by any chance released just in time for an upcoming shareholders meeting ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud or Bubble?

They have to keep M$FT's share price inflated somehow.

7. Piloti
    Facepalm

Either my geography is poor.....

.... or MS have no clue where Sweden actually is.

P.

1. Chris Miller

Re: Either my geography is poor.....

The stats (pop. anyway) refer to Sweden. Sweden/Switzerland must look rather alike from Seattle.

8. MacGyver
    Facepalm

Their slide has an error..

It would seem that someone has mistakenly put cloud data centers outside of India on that graphic. The real picture should show the clouds existing only in 3rd world countries. Notice how even with the stupid biased graphic, a lot of 1st world countries aren't even in the triple digits.

As far as advancement goes, there will be less. In the "cloud", the customer owns nothing, and pays continuously for services. Why would a OS company spend profits to make a product better, when you have no choice in the first place. How often do you "upgrade" your dog's food from "crunchy pellets" to steak tips? You know he will eat "crunchy pellets", why spend the extra money on steak tips. How often does your company change it's whole infrastructure from one OS to another, a la Windows to Apple, never, and the vendors know it. Once you are using their cloud services your machines will not work without their cloud based services, period, your choice will be pay them what they want, or have no software, there will be no more "sticking with what we have", as you "have" nothing There are still small businesses running XP, if their software was cloud based, they would still be paying month to month for that OS, just one more fee for something that could have been paid for a decade ago. I mean, do you rent your microwave? No, you know you will need one forever, so you buy one.

It will make manufacturing jobs at first for servers, switches, and harddrives (in 3rd world countries).

It will make "tech" jobs in 3rd world countries.

It will take tech jobs from 1st world countries (much like Temp Tech-Repair agencies take away permanent IT positions in companies now).

It will screw up internet traffic, and we all know that the pipe owners would rather loose a limb then upgrade their pipes. They will slice it up as much as they can, and leave the smallest part for non-commercial users (ie. caps, speed limits).

It will increase company IP theft (it's hard to break into a company and steal data, it's easy to payoff a night-shift tech in Malaysia to walk over to Rack #3451 and copy Company A's data to an external).

It will create weird political situations where a coup in one country cuts a company in an other off from it's data.

Whole companies will just "lose" everything every now and again, "it 's tragic, it shouldn't have happened, there should have been safeguards", but it will happen.

Whole companies could be shutdown by DOS attacks, not just their ability to shop at Amazon, but their ability to run "Office-365" and do actual work.

Computer hardware will stagnate as the bottleneck at the network level will set the pace for other components. "My harddrive is 15K rpm!" So, who cares, ALL data comes from the network at 100mb (ok 1G if your spiffy).

No one takes care of your kids better than you, and the same holds true for your data.

9. plrndl

Lies... & Statistics

Anyone who specifies their estimates to 7 significant figures is completely ignorant of the correct use of statistics. Even by M$ standards these claims are outrageously ludicrous.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like