back to article Motorola unfazed by Apple photo-patent win

Motorola Mobility (MMI) lost another round in its ongoing patent war with Apple when a German court ruled in Cupertino's favor in a photo-management patent case – but they're putting their best face on the setback. "Today's ruling in Munich, Germany on the patent litigation brought by Apple concerns a software feature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeebus

Oddly the leaders at Apple are making repeated moves that scream of complete desperation despite being possibly the most bankable company on the planet. Strange scenario that is not only stifling every technology firm but is bloating Apple from the top down, some changes need to happen, once the giant starts rolling it will not stop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Scream of desperation to who?

You and other commenters who keep rolling out this line - that's who

Desperate for market share? No

Desperate for profit? No

Desperate for ideas? No

Desperate to stop being ripped off? Yes

Am I desperate for down votes? Oh Yes!

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Gotta agree with AC on this. Every time there's an 'Apple vs. X' article on the Reg, there's always some blowhard in the Comments saying that "Apple reek of desperation" and "Their time is coming, just you wait", or "See, this PROVES that Apple is on the ropes and ready to cave", whereas back in the real world, Apple is anything but desperate.

Bullying and antagonistic maybe, but desperate? Not a chance.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Lord Elpuss

Do you know that Apple, if was not for the iPad sales, would be doing crap in smartphone sales compared with Samsung for example?

Re: @Lord Elpuss

No I don't. Do you?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Devil

Re: @Lord Elpuss

I do, but that is me, search for yourself on that sales figures...lazy fanboi...

2. M Gale

The usual call to...

...destroy all software and method patents. Every single one. Burn the whole sodding system to the ground because it benefits nobody except the lawyers.

And no, I don't care how much you or your business paid for a portfolio of vapour.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: The usual call to...

They're just weapons in a patent war. Until people stop firing the race for bigger better weapons will continue.

3. Neoc

Remember...

...when patents were about ways of implementing ideas, not about the ideas themselves. Which is why the first ball-point pen was kept under wraps for so long while its inventor patented every single method he could think of to make one.

Now, you don't even have to show that my ideas are do-able; you just need to put a patent on some off-the wall concept which you have no way of implementing and simply sue whoever actually comes up with a way to make it work in the future.

Re: Remember...

"Now, you don't even have to show that my ideas are do-able; you just need to put a patent on some off-the wall concept which you have no way of implementing and simply sue whoever actually comes up with a way to make it work in the future."

Soooo... kind of like your ballpoint pen inventor then who patented every single way of manufacturing it whilst only making one version himself?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Remember...

no...because if someone came up with a DIFFERENT method to make it work he couldn't sue...

I personally dont think the 'look & feel' of something should be patentable, YES copyright a design.. So you can stop copies of your device being made..

Patents should patent inventions, ways to do things, not the thing itself...

Imagine if no one could build a vacuum cleaner except Hoover because they patented sucking up dirt with a vacuum...

Obviously that is NOT a patentable idea. BUT the method of sucking up can be patented.. I.E. Dyson an their cyclonic cleaners, it still did not stop alternates coming out with bag less cleaners.

In short, patents good when protecting inventors, bad when stifling innovation...

4. Keep Refrigerated
    Joke

Patent all the lawyers!

Let's just patent every method we can think of for hiring lawyers and kill all birds with one stone.

5. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Every Reg article on patents

A court in [jurisdiction which does not include most Reg readers] has decided [in favor of / against] Apple, in a case regarding a patent for [completely obvious technique / design], against [antagonist of the week].

Habitual patent-botherer Florian Mueller says [something unremarkable, which we'll quote because we can't think of anything better].

The Apple Metatron emitted this announcement: [something vapid and self-aggrandizing]. Spokesweasels for [antagonist] said [nothing more substantial, though often more bathetic].

Florian Mueller, whom we continue to quote in order to keep the word count up, [made a highly dubious pronouncement or prediction].

The Reg predicts this will all continue essentially unchanged until the heat death of the universe.

There, I've saved you all the trouble of reading these in the future. I'd do the comments, but it's too depressing.

This topic is closed for new posts.