back to article Apple 7.85in 'iPad Mini' on course for Q3 intro

The 8in iPad seems a runner. Component makers have begun sending samples of the 7.85in tablet to Apple for its approval, moles say. If correct, the claim suggests Apple would be in a position to enter full-scale production of the 'iPad Mini' in Q3, DigiTimes reports. Last month, whispers from Asia had Apple touting the 7.85in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TechnicianJack
    Trollface

iPad 2S Lite?

2. ElNumbre
    Thumb Up

Still having input?

The King is dead, long live the King.

Or... Mr Jobs can no longer participate in product decisions, and whilst the new board may use his previous guidance as a reference point, they will go ahead and do their own thing. So everything you knew about Apple may very well change over the next few years.

IMHO, Apple need a smaller (cheaper) iPad to compete with the Fire et al. But they'll never be as inexpensive as their competitors because they see themselves as a premium brand.

1. jai

Re: Still having input?

Why do they _need_ to compete with the Fire? It's target audience is a different bracket to the current iPad's audience.

Sure, if they want to infiltrate and take over some of the Fire's potential customers, then it'd work. But they don't really need to worry about the Fire taking away a huge chunk of their current marketshare.

1. Ian Stephenson
        Holmes

Re: Re: Still having input?

Because it is more itunes vs amazon than ipad vs kindle.

2. Bjorg

Re: Re: Still having input?

Huh?

Q: Why do they _need_ to compete with the Fire?

A: It's target audience is a different bracket to the current iPad's audience.

And yet your post indicates that you *don't* think you answered your own question immediately. Why did they need to create the iPad when the target audience of competitor's tablets was different than the iPhone? Why did they need to create the Macbook Air when the target audience of competitor's thin laptops was different than the regular Macbook? They see it as a new market they can earn money in. You knew that, but at the same time you didn't...

1. jai

Re: Re: Re: Still having input?

"You knew that, but at the same time you didn't..."

it has been that sort of morning all over really

i guess i read OP's comment as being "apple have to do this or else they're doomed" rather than "apple would probably like to do this in order to keep increasing their massive profits and huge market capitalization value"

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Why do they need to compete with the Fire?

Apple are a hardware company. So as you say, they don't need to compete with the Fire, which as a loss leader is aimed at making its money back in content.

But then Apple are also a content company. And many of the moves they've made in the last decade have been pushing them in that direction. So they do have competing interests with the Fire. They sell ebooks, music and films, as do Amazon. I'm sure they'd like customers locked into their ecosystem, rather than Amazon's. Once people buy content that's locked, they're less likely to move. Plus once they've sold you one thing, plus some content, as a hardware company Apple might be able to sell you an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV (maybe iTV or whatever they call it), and maybe a Mac or two as well.

By all accounts the Kindle Fire isn't perfect. So £50 extra for an 8" iPad shouldn't be a great difference, if that's really the price.

However, if they do it, I think it's just as much aimed at the mainstream Android tablet makers. It's going to be a real bugger fitting in the tiny space left between Apple and Amazon, if they really do come out with cheaper iPads. How many people will pay £50 extra for a 10" Android tab, when they can have an iPad - even though it's only 8"? Obviously some. But although there's lots of Apple-hating techies out there, I don't think that's bled across to the mainstream users, in the way that (for example) Microsoft-hate did.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still having input?

IF this happens, it may be aligned to the text-books initiative. I imagine Apple's buying power could make this available at the right magic price point. Again, IF, it would then probably be accompanied by some useful admin tools for controlling a school-ful of these devices

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doubtful

Most likely a prototype or something.

Please Reg, stop with the rumours. Just the facts

4. Jeebus
    Thumb Down

They won't stop with the rumour mill. I posted yesterday the site has degenerated into an Apple rumour site and was voted down. Shame we don't get much legitimate news any more on El Reg. Gone the way of Techcrunch et al.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

But you're part of the cause of the problem.

Not that I think there is a problem, myself. The Reg has plenty of news coverage still, it just also has more Apple (and Android) new product rumours. I don't see it reporting less other stories.

Apple rumours get clicks. As you've given one to this story, and the last one you say you commented on. And comments (you've commented on both too). The Reg editors would be fools if they didn't tailor the stories they write to what has proven to interest their readers in the past. So there's a huge interest in Android, there's lots of reporting on it. Same with Apple.

The great thing is that each article has a little bit of text to tell you what it's about. So if you ain't interested, you don't click.

Is there something you feel you're missing out on? Do you feel there's an area they're neglecting, that needs more coverage? Because if so, you haven't said. Or are you just complaining there's too much Apple stuff? In which case, what you don't click won't hurt you...

2. JDX Gold badge

rumours are part of the news. If you aren't interested, simply IGNORE these stories rather than taking the time to post a comment,

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Starting to sound....

A bit feminine hygene, whats next, a maxi version?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Starting to sound....

2010 just called, they want their joke back

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Starting to sound....

I ought to stop making snappy replies to my own funny comments.

6. HelenaHandcart

Wouldn't that be a slightly larger iPod touch?

1. Andrew James

Yes and for a similar price.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly. Its a thin line between an iPad MINI and an iPod Touch.

1. uhuznaa

The iPod touch sells very well, though. As a kind of micro iPad it also works totally fine, just the screen is a tad too small. A smaller (and cheaper) iPad would certainly sell well enough.

3. Chad H.

Or as Scott Adams put it

A bad tablet and worse phone.

7. Andrew James

At £200 I'd buy one. Reduced storage or not. 8Gb holds plenty on the iPod Touch for all but the longest trips away from a computer & ability to swap some content.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like