back to article Cameras roll on 'blockbuster' new Who series

The BBC's spinners have worked themselves into a right state over the news that filming has kicked off on the seventh series of Doctor Who. Viewers are promised 14 "blockbuster-movie episodes" as Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan embark on "their final, rollercoaster voyage" with Matt Smith's Time Lord. Arthur Darvill, Matt …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. FartingHippo
    Go

"some familiar foes as you've never seen them before"

Cybermen in pink tutus and boas? Cool.

1. John I'm only dancing

Re: "some familiar foes as you've never seen them before"

Or Daleks in drag...sorry haven't they've done that already?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: Re: "some familiar foes as you've never seen them before"

Anyone can make a mistake said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.

OK, I'm going.

2. Andrew Moore

Cool, Pakistani Daleks....

1. TRT Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: Re: "some familiar foes as you've never seen them before"

No, that's been done already.

Plus it's kind of a politically charged area - killer robots operating in Pakistan.

2. Elmer Phud
        Thumb Up

Milligan

"Put him in the curry!"

1. Andy Enderby 1

Re: Milligan

Errr...... I think I remember that poping up in the Q series ?

3. Spudbynight

The Candyman - COOL!

2. Aldous
    Thumb Down

X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

so theres been :

Spitfires (complete with spinny props) IN SPAAAACE!!!!

Victorians IN SPAAAACE!!!!

Pirates IN SPAAAACE!!!!

Flying sharks IN SPAAAACE!!!!

Titanic IN SPAAAACE!!!!

so let me guess it will be

Cavemen IN SPAAAACE!!!!

dark ages IN SPAAAACE!!!!

eqyptians IN SPAAAACE!!!!

etc

1. Alan Bourke
      Thumb Up

Re: X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

I care not a jot as long as it continues to feature:

Miniskirted pouting IN SPAAAACE!!!!

2. CD001

eqyptians IN SPAAAACE!!!!

------------------------------------------

I suspect the Stargate people might have something to say about that... (Douglas Adams was already dead when they did the Starship Titanic episode).

1. nichomach

Re: Re: X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

@CD001 - Whovian prior art @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/pyramidsmars/ ?

3. stucs201

What about Pigs?

Oh, wait, Jim Henson beat them to that one.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No... those would be good.

What lets the time-travelling space-faring Dr. Who down is a distinct LACK of:

a) Travelling more than 100 years from the current time.

b) Travelling more than 300 miles from Cardiff.

1. oddie

it's been a standing joke for quite some time just how much the doctor likes current day london :) it was even commented on in the show itself.. somewhere in the current 3rd season I think?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"a) Travelling more than 100 years from the current time.

b) Travelling more than 300 miles from Cardiff."

One should be careful with such accusations, especially on a tech website where Who fans could be lurking anywhere. Namely that one over there coming at you swinging episode 3x11, where they go to the year 100 trillion... Although admittedly they do start in Cardiff. :P

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

I can't say that I'd be too upset about an obsessive fan picking a hole in my off-hand statistics.

But nonetheless, DW continues to swan around 20th-21st century London, and that's why I stopped watching it. Heck... even when they do go into spppppaaaaaaccccceeee or time, it's usually a future London, or has a distinctly British feel. Dullllllll.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
            Happy

That's because the British will rule the future

We ruled the past, and we shall rule again! Mwuhahahaaa!

Our main weapon is surprise! Surprise and comedy!

Among our weapons are comedy, surprise and a flag. Do you have a flag?

2. Tom 13

Re: Re: Re: Re: X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

You know, I was going to make that an up vote until I got to "distinctly British feel" and I gotta say as ferkin' 'Merkin, that I would STOP watching the show if it LOST that feel.

3. Mike Flex

> b) Travelling more than 300 miles from Cardiff.

I think you'll find Utah is considerably more than 300 miles from Cardiff.

1. Tom 13

Re: Re: Re: X in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE!

It was still distinctly in the 20th century, and that's actually the more annoying part.

5. TRT Silver badge

They already did the Egyptians thing with the pyramid base of Lady Cor...blimey, whats'er_name.

6. The Metal Cod

We've already had Egyptians in space with the Pyramids of Mars.

I'd love to see Cybermen dancing down the Fulham Palace Road doing YMCA.

7. Nigel Smart
      Holmes

> eqyptians IN SPAAAACE!!!!

Old Fourth Doctor story of Pyramids of Mars. Not exactly Egyptions, but mummies galore

: Sherlock since there is no Dr Who icon

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Can we have police uniform Amy again please?

4. Dazzz
    Flame

Good grief, somebody shoot that PR spinner before they start attracting black holes....

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Spinners?

Where they using procrastinators to get the filming done quickly?

Mine is the one with "Thief of Time" in the pocket

5. Pinkerton
    Thumb Up

On the bright side...

...George Lucas is not involved.

1. KirstarK
      Thumb Up

Re: On the bright side...

best post ever!!!!!!

6. Richard Taylor 2
    FAIL

The seventh series

So what happened to all of the others for f****s sake?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: The seventh series

NuWho has its own production series. Eccleston did S1. Tennant then did three more, and this is Matt Smith's third, so it's the seventh series.

1. Phoenix50

Re: Re: The seventh series

I thought Tennant did four? Or at the very least, 3.5?

Rose, Martha, Donna, and then the specials the following year? Were they counted as S4 then.

1. Jedit Silver badge

Tennant 3.5?

No - the TV movies were separate productions, not part of a series run, so they don't count together for the numbering.

It's all needlessly complicated, of course, but if it weren't what would we all talk about while shows are on hiatus?

2. TheProf
        Megaphone

As far as the BBC were concerned Steven Moffat 'rebooted' Doctor Who. So this is NuNuWho and they've just started filming series/season 3.

Or series 'fnarg' as The Moff calls it.

(I think a recent issue of Doctor Who Magazine went to some lengths to muddy the series numbering.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

Re: Re: Re: The seventh series

It's not a reboot. It's just following the shows tradition of reinventing itself.

A reboot (which is what was mooted in the 90's) would see the show starting again. But to give them their dues both Davies and Moffatt have drawn on the shows rich history using everything from Sarah Jane Smith through to a recent reference to the Nimon (which got a cheer in my house).

2. Killraven

Re: The seventh series

Auntie made it clear from the get-go. The originals are "Dr. Who", this is "Doctor Who". They wanted the old and the new to stand apart.

A semantic, and pedantic, difference to be sure, but that's all it takes.

1. Derek Currie
        Mushroom

I also suspect the NuNumbering etc. had something to do with repudiation of the last years of the original series. There were a few absolute winners in there. But in general, the most horrible things you'd see watching Dr. Who were the production values. Why they kept that guy [He Who Shall Not Be Named] as producer is beyond comprehension. Way to tank the show dude! Some of the episodes were positively nauseating in quality. The show literally killed itself, despite explanations to the contrary.

7. NogginTheNog
    FAIL

The end of the Ponds

Excellent, can't wait really - I rather liked Amy at first (and not just for the obvious ginger reasons!) but for me they blew it when they made River Song their daughter - just one twisty plot too far!

8. Andy 97

Possibly the best Doctor ever (imho).

"Why won't you just die?"

It's so camp now I just wonder why they don't paint the monsters/villain day-glo.

1. stucs201

re: I just wonder why they don't paint the monsters/villain day-glo

Er, they did. Stupid new teletubby daleks :(

1. John G Imrie

Stupid new teletubby daleks

Are actually stupid old 1960's daleks

see http://www.wallchan.com/images/mediums/66575.jpg

1. Eddie Edwards

Re: Stupid new teletubby daleks

But those Daleks don't have Vanessa Feltz's arse.

9. TRT Silver badge
    Devil

New story...

Mid 2012. The TARDIS materialises in mid-flight, on the edge of Earth's atmosphere, somewhere above Spain. Rory sticks his head out of the door to take a look, only to stare stupidly at the two large white objects rapidly ascending towards the space/time machine. Then it hits him.

10. Daedalus
    Unhappy

Bet it's Torchwood all over again

Just watch: an influx of American money, suddenly the chalk pit is in California and the plots and pacing are pure Jollywood. It's 1986 all over again. Betcha the villain is played by a US actor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Bet it's Torchwood all over again

Doctor Who and the Dialects?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What influx of American money?

And what do you mean, "the villain"? It has a different one every week.

And as for the plots and pacing being pure Hollywood, haven't you noticed that since the show returned in 2005, it's been self-contained 45-minute episodes with 'Previously...' catch-ups at the start of many, 'Next time...' trailers at the end and the occasional two-parter. Just like Star Trek and every other Hollywood sci-fi show.

There are still people who bemoan the fact each story is no longer spread across two months in 23-minute slices, mostly full of boring filler sequences of people walking along corridors, through caves, up stairs, or just wandering lost calling out for The Doctor. The old Doctor Who all too often felt like you were watching a cricket match. Maybe that was OK at the time, but not now.

I couldn't go back to that any more than a small CRT TV, VHS recorder with 8-programme timer, cassette walkman or a car with a crank handle.

The problem with Torchwood was that it was too expensive and too much of an effort for an in-house production. The BBC are happy to make a show like that if they get 13 episodes, but not just 5 to be shown over one week. They leave that sort of thing to independent producers, but the BBC won't hand over Doctor Who or Torchwood to another company. So that leaves co-productions, which often lead to too many cooks with conflicting goals, agendas and internal politics.

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

They've already tried that. it didn't work (at least not in terms of viewing figures). Look at Dr Who, the 1996 TV movie.

11. W.O.Frobozz
    Boffin

Crazy? I'd be happy for consistent...

The bogus "second half" of the last season was a huge, convoluted mess with a big letdown (copout?) of a resolution. I think the Moff made it all too complicated and twisty and had trouble coming up with a satisfying resolution.

Old monsters eh...Meglos? (Don't laugh, it almost was...and we did get a Nimon last fall...)

12. Michael Tansley

Any chance that this series might actually have a plot or two involved?

Most of it seems to be a lot of pointless running around and speech that you can hardly understand.

13. Slightly_Odd_Child
    Meh

Am I the only one.....

who doesn't like Matt Smith as the Doctor?.....*Cue Sh*tstorm*

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.