back to article HP gives sysadmins a little mobility

HP is embracing mobility with apps to allow sysadmins to receive alerts, manage systems and even shut down servers, all from the comfort of their booth seats at the pub. HP already provides SiteScope, with which one can monitor servers and receive alerts on Android and iOS devices. But in a presentation at the HP Global …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em
    Thumb Down

So...

...put simply, HP repackages shit I've already been doing with shell scripts for the last ten years and wants to sell it back to me for a completely stupid amount of money.

It's a real shame what happened to that company, isn't it? They used to be worth doing business with.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

No...

This article (nor the PC World original) doesn't specify any price for the app so please elaborate on the "stupid amount of money".

So far you can remotely manage any ILO enabled HP server with a web browser anyway.

And you can happily do that with current and previous generation servers as well.

2. Norphy

"HP is embracing mobility with apps to allow sysadmins to receive alerts, manage systems and even shut down servers, all from the comfort of their booth seats at the pub."

You say that like it's a good thing :(

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

It's a tricky one - on the one hand it increases the chance of being in the pub at any given moment (possibly to dangerous levels) but on the other it ramps up the odds of being disturbed by some piece of utter business critical system.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Simon will want one

You just know it. Better still, rig the Boss/head of IT's smartphone/fondleslab to remotely mess things up, with an easy trail leading to said Boss/head of IT. Just one more way of getting rid of a boss.

4. HaydnH

What no WebOS, man they really did f*** that puppy!

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Gimp

Excuse me . . .

. . . that's "made love."

5. Hooksie
    Thumb Up

You try accessing a SiteScope web page from your iPhone/iPad any time recently?? Anyway, most enterprise companies wouldn't allow them to be on the web, only accessible by VPN. So if you have a corporate network and hand out iPads or android tabs to your sys admins that can VPN in and allow remote administration then that's got to be a good thing. Saves carrying a laptop and power supply.

But yeah, would be good to have a webOS app too because then I could use my Touchpad for it. OK, I already could cos I have CM9 on there but that's beside the point!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like