back to article Will Apple set up shop in Walmart warehouses?

The contrast between Apple's prestige city-centre stores and the Sam's Club warehouse chain – where budget goods are sold straight from the pallet – is sharp. But that's where Apple wants to set up mini stores to sell its gadgets. There are about 600 Sam's Club retail warehouses across America selling everything from exercise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted Treen
    Facepalm

Calm down, Dear...

"...its fondleslabs to rich foreigners browsing for overpriced toys..."

More factual, objective and unbiased reporting, I see.

1. Darryl

rich foreigners browsing for overpriced toys

Isn't that basically the definition of Harrod's?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WELL

Does this make it less exclusive and will there be DISCOUNTS!

Maybe it will become a 'Chav' accessory the way Burburry, thick gold neck chains, sovereign rings and shell suits did.

Oh my! It might even become 'common'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about Costco?

Noticed that Apple kit is back in Costco in Watford. There's no Apple dis[play, just standard Costco display.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do Apple own the Apple stores, or are they independent franchises?

'cos I can see having a nearby supply of cheap stock will go down well with the store managers.

Or maybe not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old stuff

I can only see the concept of Apple selling into cheap outlets working if they're selling old stuff and not the latest stuff. Maybe 6-12 months delay should do it.

Otherwise all but the most pious and devout fanboi is going to nip round to Lidl or Primark or whatever and save himself a few quid.

But there are enough idiots prepared to spend a week freezing their nuts off in a sleeping bag outside an Apple store just to get a new iphone a few hours before most people, so I am pretty sure that they'd go to Apple stores regardless of the price being higher.

5. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Saving you money ... every day

But will they be Rolled back?

Will we have a Dixon's/Curry's experience? I doubt it as Mac boxes tend not to have information about their contents.

6. Tom 13

You know, my nearest Sam's Club

is in the heart of downtown, not out of town. Granted, I reside in The Beltway, but I would have thought a Reg author would at least use the excuse to expense a lunch to actually visit a Sam's Club for the story.

7. Rodrigo Rollan
    Mushroom

Bazinga

It's like a million hipsters / trend lovers / exclusivity maniacs cried in horror

8. ps2os2
    Thumb Down

Apple in Sams?

Who knows maybe Apple will force these huge discount places to pay their employee's at least minimum wage. In case you didn't know WALMART (and other) sub contract out these place huge place to companies to get around the minimum wages . Bah humbug Avoid these places.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like