back to article Moog goes boom with itty-bitty bass synth

Synth-sectarians will be swiping saliva off their chins this morning after Moog unveiled its latest analogue bass synth, the Moog Minitaur. The Minitaur joins the Taurus family as the first sibling lacking in foot pedals. Measuring just 8.5 x 5.25in, the compact box is designed to slot into any space and be taken on the road …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

I'll wait for the Bristol

emulator. Easier to carry for a start!

2. Jon Double Nice
    Thumb Up

WOOHOO!

Break out the patch cables and grow yourself a beard for MODULAR SYNTHESIZING AWESOMENESS!

Pop on a nice knitted jumper or white lab coat too depending on what kind of vibe you're going for.

3. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Stupid bunny! (Me!) I thought Moog was British.

Travelled many times between the spooks in Cheltenham to Warwick. Little Chef I used to frequent had a "MOOG" site oppsite the roundabout. I always thought it was the same company, but turns out it's an aircraft manufacturer.

Good video! NSFE! (Not Safe For Eardrums)

1. melt
      Pint

Moog Instrumentation

I know the place - it's Moog Instrumentation. Founded by two cousins of Robert Moog, the synth guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_Inc :)

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

Thanks, "melt"

Link's a good read. Appreciated.

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Whatever happened to looking forwards and creating new things? it seems with synths that time has not only stood still but is moving backwards to an era when Noddy Holder was on Top of the Pops.

As much as I like the old VCO, VCF model, I feel that music is being held back by a general lack of new sounds. The 80s wouldn't have sounded the way it did without the Yamaha DX7 and Roland D50. The 90s had the Korg M1 workstation.

Don't get me wrong, the old kit had the perfect user interface, controls and no menus. But that's not to say a new synth type couldn't have knobs and switches.

The last big leap was physical modelling and Yamaha's format synthesis. But they suffered from really awful interfaces. The Yamaha FS1R was a tiny box of tricks, not unlike the early FM boxes like the TX81Z, so was too cumbersome to use. Computer based editors seem to have fallen by the wayside too.

1. MD Rackham

Really?

It's the lack of new sounds that's holding music back?

I thought it was the lame idea that sampling someone else's music was "creative."

That and those hippity-hop kids with their baggy pants and backward caps and no respect for the great crooners like Rudy Vallee.

5. firefly
    Stop

As a 'proper' bass player

That is a 'proper' bass being one being one made out of dead trees, I demand that you remove this article and destroy any review units you have in your possession.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But...

Unfortunately, walking and talking bass players require continuous supplies of money and in some cases, amphetamines, to keep in working order. This requires neither of those.

2. flying_walrus
      Pint

"proper bass"

Geddy Lee and John Myung can't both be wrong, so you must be.

3. BigUglyDean
      Trollface

So how many...

... Bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

Who knows? It's not like anyone is paying attention to them...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A simple soul, the Moog

I always preferred Carwash.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Awesome...

Still using Props Reason though

8. Andy 97
    FAIL

Oh no - more of that dubstep stuff.

I thought LFO went out in the mid- 1990's

9. Chris 171
    Thumb Up

Bristol knows Bass

Have no doubt a few units will be heading this way, as it goes down here, 'if your chest ain't rattling - it ain't happening!'

Bring on the structural damage #bassmusic ftw!

10. Cazzo Enorme
    Coat

Thankfully, it also has a "proper" MIDI socket as well as USB. Not all of us use them new fangled software DAWs you know.

(Mine's the one with the hardware sequencer in the pocket).

11. itzman

Anyone else find the sound it makes worth about 2c at best?

Truly uninspiring.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Then I'm sorry to say

that you have no appreciation of an anologue synth, bass or otherwise...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like