back to article UK is biggest nation of web shopaholics - Euro poll

UK shoppers order more stuff online than their European neighbours - and worry the least about how their personal data is used on social networking sites even though seven out of ten Brits admit having concerns about privacy. That's according to Ofcom's latest International Communications Market study, which also determined …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil McDowell
    Coat

Staying in

It seems we are a nation of shop-keeper avoiders

I don't own a coat as I never leave the house!

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons
    FAIL

Laugh? Laugh? I nearly cried...

"That's according to Ofcom's latest International Communications Market study, which also determined that take-up in Blighty of broadband services with speeds of at least 25Mbit/s is lagging far behind other countries."

I'd love to have the choice of signing up to a 25Mb service. In fact, I'd even be happy with 2.5Mb (and I live in a city, not some back-of-beyond village- I'd probably get a better chance in the sticks...).

But while toothless Ofcom is busy carrying out Market Studies, BT and Virgin can pretty much get away with what they want, with the market essentially wrapped up between them (at least on the infrastructure/wholesale side)

3. Ru
    Unhappy

4%

Its a pretty meaningless figure. What percentage of UK households can realistically get 25mbps? Hell, what percentage can actually get 20mbps on plain old boring ADSL2+? Maybe we'd get those magic 40% uptake figures when everyone who wants super fast internet connections can actually get one.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I live in what is allegedly one of the tech business centres of the UK and am lucky to get 6mbps. Maybe things will pick up in 2013 once FTTC becomes available, but availability dates have a funny habit of receding into the future every time they get close.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lol, almost the exact opposite of what you'd think from reading all the moans about poor broadband speeds and high prices. Still one thing rings true: All that online shopping probably explains why the highstreet is in decline.

5. lpobjoy

fritters?

Have you been to milton keynes, the shops are crap and who can be arsed to walk anyway!

6. Hollerith 1

Driven to the intertubes

I realised recently that, of about 8 things I needed to buy over the past month, 1 was found trailing around the shops, and I live in London close to Oxford Street. Basics like certain types of fairly ordinary light bulbs. The department stores have cut back or have signed up to sell only one manufacturer's product. Rather than waste my time in shops with poor stock, queuing, dealing with unhelpful staff who don't seem to correlate helpign customers with sales with wages, I now find I'm turning to the web for ordinary stuff I would not, at one time, have dreamed of having delivered. I sometimes pay a little more, ading in postage, but sometimes not, and I gain in having my time freed up.

7. Metz
    Paris Hilton

It's because....

...I don't charge the delivery lorry a toll for the use of my road, or a charge for parking in front of my house to deliver the goods. If I take my car to go shopping, I invariably get charged for parking now....I have to give the woman at the till my phone number, email address, inside leg measurment 'because the till asks for it'....I'll probably get caught in a traffic jam of irrate xmas shoppers who seem to think armageddon is'a'comin. Is it any wonder?

Paris, because I bought her on the internet too.

1. icedfusion
      Thumb Up

completely....

agree. Why should I support the local community when the robbing council b'stards charge for parking. I would rather buy my stuff from some offshore place where the delivery for all my items is cheaper than filling up with petrol and driving to the shops.

8. Derichleau

The majority of onlne stores are clueless about data protection

Nearly every company that I do business with online has contravened my data protection rights in some way in order to promote their products and services to me. Data protection in this country is a joke!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

The UK also has one of the highest rates of obesity in Europe too, can't help but think this and the main push to the story are somehow related?

10. CD001

"UK shoppers order more stuff online than their European neighbours - ...

That's according to Ofcom's latest International Communications Market study, which also determined that take-up in Blighty of broadband services with speeds of at least 25Mbit/s is lagging far behind other countries."

Uh-huh... I've never yet needed 25Mb/s a do online shopping so "buying more stuff online" doesn't really mean "must have faster connection".

It's when you game online or own a PS3 and suddenly find you've got to download 100s of MBs worth of patches that you need a faster connection; not web surfing, or shopping, or even streaming music/video (as they're usually heavily compressed).

1. KroSha
      Angel

"It's when you game online or own a PS3 and suddenly find you've got to download 100s of MBs worth of patches that you need a faster connection"

Or the 14GB, yes GB, for the recently Free-to-Play DC Universe Online. Thank goodness Be really does do "unlimited" downloads.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ofcom the new survey makers

All the furore over Oranges price increase and Ofcom said "meh, deal with it yourself"

Seems that they prefer to stick to nice easy Surveys.

When did they decide to stop regulating and become the telecom industry mouthpiece?

12. KroSha

Not surprising. Who wants to pay £40pm for a "super-fast" service that, after taking out cab-to-house noise, contention, throttling and "peak time traffic management" isn't actually that much faster than before? If you haven't hit your download limit this month, that is.

13. Oninoshiko
    WTF?

Part of the problem

What, pray-tell, do we NEED 25M for?

That's a dual-layer Blu-ray every 30mins. Seriously, I'm a net junkie, online all but 10 hrs a day, and I cannot IMAGINE a use for that. At 2M I'm doing ok for almost all my tasks, 6M I'm happy as a clam for anything (that's a DL-DVD every 30 min).

There really comes a point where is a this type of technomasterbation is just silly.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

When you have many devices, all bitching about updates, you have a half-meg connection and (if the download doesn't time out), the patches takes hours, then you'll understand the value of speed.

Or when you have kids who want to stream video and play online like their mates but can't.

2mb is fine if you're a little old lady, online shopping and picking up mail. Ofcom's demographic.

14. Keep Refrigerated
    Holmes

Obvious, really...

...to anyone who's tried shopping on the UK high street in the last 10 years.

Customer service is an oxymoron - sales staff don't have a clue about the products they're selling but can tell you all the options available for taking out extended warranty. If you ask them a question that can't be answered by looking at the back of the box or on the info card then you'll get one of two reactions; hurr derp or passive agressiveness as they simply repeat one of the few selling points they know like a politician asked a straight yes/no question.

It isn't always about price, sometimes I'll pay the same or slightly more online and wait for a delivery when I've had a particularly bad experience with the sales staff in some shops that are less preferable to a kick in the nuts. Currys/PC World, Best Buy, the worst offenders, I'm looking at you.

OTOH online retailers must compete on after-sales service. I'll similarly avoid cheaper online price where I've had delivery problems and poor communication. eBay/Paypal anyone?

So online or offline is not so important to me, service is. I'll recommend any online or offline shop where I've had good service even if the price is slightly higher. I'll go back too because I know I can count on the staff.

Retail managers take note!

15. Brass
    Unhappy

What does 39Mbps mean if you try to draw data from BT's empty tank?

As a computer support person, I visit many peoples homes and experience many different connections. It is the ISP that determines how much data you can download and your connection speed is hardly relevant.

I was downloading updates at a clients home with BT infinity the download speed was 7.2 kbps. I logged in to my PC at home with 3.9Mbps SKY connection and started the same download to my PC the speed was 401kbps. I then logged on to a friends PC with 6.1Mbps Talktalk connection the speed was 590kbps.

This was the same update from the Adobe.com website in each case.

Is BT infinity a fraud?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OFCOM are pollsters now

Thats all they can do. Being the obedient poodles of BT. (rascals, themselves).

The least they can do is ensure we get decent advertised speeds. Rather than moan about lack of high speed uptake, and faff around with figures and percentages.

How about cracking a whip at all the ISPs ?

A poll of actual speeds we get will conifrm that all of UK gets only about one-third of the advertised speeds (under ADSL).

WHAT A CON!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats the point?

Why bother with fttc @40mb when its capped by BT at 100gb/month anyway. Thats barely 1 streamed movie or a few TV eps a night (all legal).

I'll stick with my ADSL2+ @ 13mb/s and uncapped with BeThere thanks very much... its more than quick enough.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like