back to article Defra gives IBM 21% MORE dosh this year

IBM has increased its dominance of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs' (Defra) budget, after a 21 per cent increase in its income from the department. The firm now receives nearly a quarter of Defra's £398.7m spending with external suppliers. Defra paid the firm £99.1m in 2010-11, according to figures …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Partner?

For £99.1M DEFRA should be entitled to see IBM as their Servant.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cutbacks

It is good that the cutbacks arent harming massive international corporations....

3. Chris Miller

Unbelievable

There are <6,000 staff working for DEFRA according to their own stats: http://data.defra.gov.uk/WMI/Defra-WMI-1108.csv

So they're spending (just with IBM, mind you) over £16,000 per head. That's some pretty impressive laptops - or are they equipping every farm in the country with their own AIX system? I almost wouldn't mind if government computing wasn't such utter crap - I happened to be talking to someone at the DWP just today and they were worried that a 4MB attachment might blow their mailbox limit. Hey guys - the 1990s called, they want their mail server back.

Remember this next time someone tries to tell you that there's no scope for cost reduction in the civil service.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Logic

Do you understand the overall value proposition of technological automation? The idea is that you use productivity enabling technology so you can have 6,000 employees as opposed to 60,000. The spend per employee is irrelevant. Would you prefer that they hired 60,000 employees and gave them all pen and paper?

P.S. - IBM doesn't sell PCs. I don't know the details, but it is likely that the contract includes IBM staffing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like