back to article iPhone 4S is for failures who work in coffee shops - Samsung

Not content with the trans-continental patent lawsuits, Samsung have struck another blow at Apple. This time somewhere it might hurt - its branding. A new TV ad for the Samsung Galaxy SII showing from today in the States sticks it directly to the iPhone, by suggesting that the Jesus mobe is an over-hyped pricey status toy for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 soon. I'm not sure insulting me is the best way to encourage me to switch to Samsung...

1. Craigness

@AC

Is that an admission that you're the sort of lackadaisical hipster who queues for a phone "event"? Because that's who they're insulting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

The only ones that will be insulted by this are the fanbois. So...

= You.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Strike Vomit

With your constant sniping, how are youy anything less than a fanboi of your own particular consumerist deity?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Er, I am an ANTI-FANBOI

I just can't help it. I hate smug wankers and their distortions of reality.

1. Simon Neill
            FAIL

You know,

The "Anti apple" crowd are JUST as annoying and smug as the "pro apple" crowd to those of us that just want a phone and don't really give a crap what picture is on the back of it.

2. Prag Fest
        Go

@Craigness + Stike Vomit

You two have become quite the double act around here of late.

I can't help but picture Bert and Ernie clutching Android handsets.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

@ Prag Fest

That even made me laugh.

3. Flashy Red

As lovely as the Samsung is, I can't get along with Android and I'll be upgrading my HTC mobe in April... to an iPhone 4 (not the 4S).

I'm so terribly, terribly bad.

4. Tchou
      Joke

Isn't a Jesus phone supposed to come with a message of love and forgiveness for every customer?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 soon"

"Hello Day Old News?"

"Yeah cancel his subscription!"

"He'll be giving his business to Behind the Times"

6. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Coat

Clam down, Calm down

http://files.coloribus.com/files/adsarchive/part_96/963905/file/reebok-clothing-calm-down-small-62207.jpg

Jeeezzz would you lot ever calm down, this is advertising, not reality. You can easily see that the whole scene is a cleverly contrived piece of advertising make-believe bordering on viral advertising.

The other give away that it is a cleverly staged production is that although it looks like the fanbois have been queuing for hours, their phones haven’t run out of battery…

Mines the one with the very long charging cable in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What, no nexus?

It's a good advert but why are they talking about the S2? Have they already dumped the Nexus?

It must be pretty tough too because the guy at the end puts it in his back pocket then gets in the cab and presumably sits on it

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Stop

That's not what the Nexus is about

As with previous Google phones, the Nexus exists to be a reference build for the latest release of Android, not to be the latest greatest smartphone. A lot of the specs are deliberately quite mundane because of this.

GJC

1. goldcd

Not entirely true

Previous Nexus phones were cuttting edge examples.

Nexus - fast CPU and OLED screen

Nexus S - NFC

Nexus Prime... erm you're right. I was hanging on for it, managed to break my original Nexus and got an S2. Was quite relieved when the specs of the Prime came out - it's got a 720 pentile screen, but that's the only thing that was actually better.

Seemingly the S3 is coming out early next year with a non-pentile 720 screen - so I'm guessing Samsung wish to keep the top models in their range as 'theirs alone'

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Boffin

Makes sense.

I've now got ICS running on my spare Galaxy S, by the way. It looks rather nice.

http://code.google.com/p/ice-cream-sandwich-sgs/w/list

GJC

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Dodgy battery life of the iPhone 4

It might well be dodgy I don't know and frankly don't care but I don't think Samsung are in a position to take the high ground on battery life.

1. Gordon 10

And they never have been.

Atleast 2 Sammy's I've owned came with a thin but crap battery and a fugly but good fat battery.

2. Neil 8

When the S2 battery runs flat...

I stick another one in. It doesn't take a (certified Apple) Genius.

3. Nick Wright

True.

Android battery life in isn't great in general, but you can always buy a secondary battery from China for less than a fiver and those problems go away. The iPhone still doesn't give you that option.

1. Naughtyhorse

two true

plus there's a fair bit of config stuff you have control over to extend battery life.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: True I and II

Yes you can buy replacement batteries but I'm rather old fashioned and expect things to work reasonably well straight out of the box.

Likewise you can turn features off to extend battery life but isn't the whole point of these smart phones to be able to use those features.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Battery usage is down to your settings and usage.

I've tweaked my settings and can get nearly 48 hours usage from my Desire S!

If your whinging about battery life, sort it out!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm using...

..a fair chunk of my S2. Wi-fi on all the time to sync pop3 and exchange e-mail accounts, record a bit of video footage to sling up on YouTube, play a little Angry Birds now and then, check up on the news, and my battery lasts two days on average.

The best thing (don't know if Apple does this) is that in bad areas, the S2 latches on to the wi-fi and uses that to make and receive calls - via Orange.

I'm happy. ... and you can downvote me for that all you want. 'cause I don't care.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

Two days is crap, iPhone, Samsung or anything else.

So some people get as much as two days use out of their phone and then complain that an iPhone has poor battery life. They all seem pretty much so slose that they are virtually indistinguishable.

I stand by my original comment, Samsung can't take the high ground on battery life.

4. ThatGuy
      Go

Got a Galaxy S2, longest time between charges? 5 days.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

Grabbing a BIG box of popcorn

...and waiting for the show...

1. ratfox
      Go

Beat me to it

I hope to see more ads like this one — in both directions!

1. alwarming
        Angel

@ratfox

I think @nonesuch meant the fanboi wars on this forum, me thinks.. and beat me to it!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice try Samsung

Now try and make a phone people will queue for.

5. LarsG

WHEN WILL ALL........

this childish behavior end?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So long as there are nerds in the world this sort of shit will continue ad infinitum.

1. chr0m4t1c

Yep

Spectrum vs C64, Amiga vs ST, Sega vs Nintendo, PC vs Mac, Xbox vs PS1/PS2, Xbox360 vs PS3, etc.

If you can only define yourself by talking down people who have made different choices then you are the one with the problem.

Personally, when I find ad campaigns like this that spend as much time insulting or talking down the competition I immediately wonder what serious product flaws they are trying to hide and I tend to shop elsewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confessions of a former Android user

I have an iPhone. Yeah, I've come out as an Apple user. I really tried with an Android phone. I really did. I even got a new shiny HTC Sensation.

Seriously, it is a POS as a frigging phone. Guess what, that is what I use it for!

The 'touch' is so sensitive that many times when I have hung up a call, it has redialled the party before I can stop it.

A total failure.

Yeah, all the other stuff works pretty well but as a phone it is a failure.

I sold it on Ebay last week and bought an iPhone 4s. A very different experience.

I am most certainly not a Coffee Shop worker. I run my own business and employ more than 20 people.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

Fail of the Year 2011 - entries now open

You're posting as an anonymous coward. How the fuck can you say you've *come out* as an Apple user when you're not even using your online identity?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A coffee shop manager by any chance?

1. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

hehehe

no man he's a creative

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Come out? You're anonymous! How is that coming out about anything?

4. Steve Evans

Ummmm...

Ticking that "post anonymously" is not coming out, that's still hiding!

5. 42
      Coat

Sigh

Me too, I tried quite a few and much to my disgust ended up with the new 4S, it was simply much better to use. My PFy posted TRAITOR!!!!! when I announced my sin. ):

6. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Jeez, 'droid fans...

Bitching about whether this guy has signed in as AC or not isn't really the point. He tried Android, didn't like it and went for Apple.

His choice. Grow up and live with it, instead of sniping at the irrelevant. Droid fans insist on how wonderful an open platform is, harping on about choice and yet they can't handle someone going elsewhere.

It's like Linux vs Windows, Xbox vs. PS3, degenerating into childish rants, with little reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jeez

Whether he's AC is exactly the point when he says he's "come out" as something. And that is the point people were making. Why think they're android fans? Why think they can't handle someone choosing a different phone? There's no evidence for either so will you grow up and live with that?

I've got an HTC and have the same problem with the redial. The issue is that the End Call button becomes the Start Call button when the other person hangs up. But it's not difficult to press the thing twice before the new call is connected. It's hardly with a downgrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@GitMeMyShootinIrons

This wasn't a bitch about what he's done. If anything it was a challenge to his use of English.

"Coming out" is publicly confessing to something. i.e. going public about something which you have kept hidden in the past, e.g. being gay, owning an iphone, being a Chelsea supporter, all the usual things which could could cause you major embarrassment should your friends and family find out. Okay, maybe not the first one, that's pretty acceptable these days.

Using the anonymous button is still hiding... He's still in that closet with the door firmly closed, posting away via his wireless connection I assume.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What?

Poor bugger. It was clearly an ironic (even creative, now he drives a real smart-phone) comment.

Your Android response is typical of the whole nature of android partisans, with their playschool talk of "the dark side", "would never, ever buy, use, be in the same room as ... and iphone". "Yes, my battery lasts just five minutes, but I am pleased to carry 20 more and a charger - what a feature...". "it's got this inane bug where it hangs up - rings back -goes silent - laughs at me . but I just stand on my head and play the national anthem on the four still working keys and all is lovely again - no big deal".

I personally went off the whole idea of buying smart Nokia, Windows, Android or Apple when I realised the pitiful mindset and religious belief associated with the things. Anyway, I've got a life, except when reading the drivel on this site.

7. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Paris Hilton

@AC 20:23

I thought all iPhoney users were sensitive and touchy, oh sorry you mean the phone.

OK, joke out of the way, AC 20:23, has a point, it is annoying to take your $BRAND fondle phone out of your breast pocket to find that your left nipple has being trying to set up a VPN, however it is easily remedied by locking the phone before putting it away.

Paris, ‘cos I said left nipple.

7. Bad Beaver
    FAIL

Could have been better.

The barista line is outstanding. The rest falls short. Too blatant, not really persuasive. Want to see a nice ad? Check out this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MaOnVago88g

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Man, that N9 ad is lame as fuck.

Nicely produced though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL!

An add for a phone which features all of 5 seconds of the phone in over two minutes, and tells you nothing apart from it's not what anyone else is buying!

Bit too art-house for me.

3. Andrew Moore
      FAIL

He's not a barista, he's someone who just makes coffee. It's rather like calling the person who brings you your wine a 'sommelier'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Andrew Moore

A what? I had to google that!

And there's already a well established England name for someone who makes coffee in starbucks. Arts graduate.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like