back to article Henge Docks Docking Station

It’s less technically sophisticated than the Techne Byte-Dock port replicator we reviewed recently, but the Docking Station from Henge Docks is a darn site prettier and a lot less expensive. Henge Docks Docking Station for MacBooks Sold here in the UK by MobileFun, the Docking Station is available in several sizes to suit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Got one

...for a 15" MBP, and I'll agree on all counts. It is expensive for an injection moulded piece of plastic; but it does work very well, I find it to be quite stable (although you could glue or screw it to your desk if youwanted). Also it doesn't seem affect the running temperature or make the fan run more often or louder.

It also docks and undocks very easily, which is handy because at the moment I have to take it out of the dock a few times a day to do a hard reset when Lion crashes :(

I would only ask for 2 things more; a short magsafe cable like the other ones so you only need 1 PSU, and with the power/chargin LED visible from the outside of the dock. The 2nd is a power button; but that is unfortunately in the hands of Apple who don't want an external one.

2. NeverMindTheBullocks

Nice idea but lacking one thing

If I plug my MacBook into one of these I can't use the screen, only my desktop monitor. FIne if you only ever use one display, but not so great for those of us who run the MacBook acreena nd a seperate monitor as well.

1. Gordon 10

But but

Anyone who does that has a more flexible neck than me.

I find that combination of screens an ergonomic nightmare.

Each to their own.

3. Scott Mckenzie

Also have one

The only thing i'd like to see is some padding on the points where the computer sits - mine has scuffed the case of the MBP from continuous docking and undocking.

Otherwise it's great!

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Darn site"

Shouldn't that be "darn sight"?

5. Mick Sheppard
    Facepalm

Erm .. why?

Why would a dock that stops you using the MBP screen be of any use to anyone? The advantage of plugging in an external screen is to get more screen real estate, this immediately gets rid of some of that advantage.

Only to be bought by people with truly more money than sense.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Why buy one? A MBP gives you options that a Mac Pro does not; you can take it out when you really need a computer with you.

However using a laptop for any length of time is not the best thing for your posture, and the screens (good though they are) are not that great. The resolution is too low and the colour accuracy / brightness mean that they cannot be used for production work.

The dock turns a MBP into a slim-line desktop replacement nicely, and it stull goes like s**t off a shovel and out performs most desktops I also have the misfortune to use.

As for external screens; having used two that were different sizes / resolutions / colours or far apart from one another before, it was hell. From now on only matched screens, butted together, thanks.

6. Design for life

Byte-dock

Isn't the Byte-dock £99.99 now? The difference in price is not that far away!

1. Gman6514
      Thumb Up

Yes they are I am just waiting for my 3rd one to turn up for the office. IMO (and I can say this as I have owned both, the Byte-dock and the Hengedock) I find the Byte-dock of much better build quality and support my Macbook much better than the henge ever did. I will from now on always go for the Byte-dock as with the price drop (which I see has not been mentioned in the story on here) it is a much better option.

Thanks G

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like