back to article Kent county council stages developer compo

Kent county council has launched a competition for local IT experts to develop new solutions for delivering public services. It is offering £1,000 to each winner for the best innovations based on two ideas: using virtual tokens in a reward scheme for those helping others to get advice and support to take better care of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A grand is an insult. The amount of effort required and back end services required to run such an app would be vastly more than this. Plus its a way of getting 30 people to try and create software for nothing.

Only thing I can hope is that some school takes up the challenge as part of an IT class.

Of course even if someone did manage to create a app, who's going to support it?

2. Ben Norris
    Thumb Down

Bit of a swindle really.

A one off phone app properly done for all of the main platforms is going to take more than £1000 of worktime and then only maybe will you get paid!? Who are they kidding?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

virtual bumwad-money scheme

I'm confused

4. Red Bren

Already done

Sounds like they want someone to invent FixMyStreet again.

http://www.mysociety.org/projects/fixmystreet/

1. Buzzword

FixMyStreet also has Android and iOS apps. Where do I claim my £1,000 ?

5. David Barrett

Why a "phone app", could this not be a mobile formatted web app? wouldnt that be alot less effort and more cost effective?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say No to Spec Work

Nobody with any self-respect should consider taking on speculative work. You're selling yourself way short and losing face in the process. The fact that the possible reward is a paltry amount just makes it worse here.

Companies keep coming up with these campaigns, essentially declaring their complete disregard for and understanding of creative industries.

I'm sure there's a saying along the lines of "Pay peanuts, get monkeys" to go with this. But with just the mere chance of peanuts, do you even get the same calibre of monkey? Hmm, maybe the metaphor falls down there.

http://antispec.com/ (it's not just designers who suffer)

This topic is closed for new posts.