back to article Republicans lose key vote to block FCC net neut rules

In a rare legislative victory for the Obama administration, Senate Republicans failed to pass a resolution to express that body's disapproval of the Federal Communications Commission's network neutrality regulations. The FCC's "Preserving the Open Internet" rules were proposed last December, made official when they were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

Oh crap

With Verizon on one side and Google on the other, is there a way they can both lose?

1. Andrew Moore

Is the answer 'Steve Jobs'?

2. Andrew Moore
    Coat

The one thing you must remember about Yogi Berra...

...is that he is smarter than the average Berra.

3. Thomas 18
    WTF?

Whats the point of having 100 senators..

if they just vote for their own policies.

4. Pat 4

It's sad but...

The truth is corporate interests have their eyes yet on monetizing the Internet but putting virtual toll booths everywhere they can. In their minds, they already own it and you're going to pay for it.

So they'll keep trying, again and again, as long as it takes and eventually the WILL get what they want. That's just how it is... they'll try again next year, and the next. Will have someone add it to the back pages of some needed bill, or will pay enough people off... but they'll get it.

It's inevitable.

5. Hud Dunlap
    FAIL

you left out previous court rulings

You left out the fact that the courts have already ruled that the FCC was not empowered by congress to regulate the internet.

I read that in many sites on the Internet including El Reg so it is surprising not to see it mentioned in the article.

Another article on the background.

http://biggovernment.com/smotley/2011/11/10/will-senators-reassert-their-constitutional-authority-or-capitulate-to-obamas-authoritarianism/

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Sub-heading was "Next stop: lawsuits".

Do you suppose that the Senate would expend their valuable time on trying to prevent the FCC doing something that was already illegal - he joked. What they do spend their time and, even indirectly, American citizens' money on is an eye-opener.

6. perlcat
    Trollface

I look at this as

Darth Vader battling Darth Vader over my innertubez.

I'd like them all to get their filthy hands off of my cloud.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like