back to article Google signs Deepak Chopra and Madonna in TV blitzkrieg

Two months ago Google chairman Eric Schmidt assured TV industry executives that Google was complementary to them, not a competitor. All the Chocolate Factory wanted to do, he said, was help. But as Schmidt was delivering his honeyed words, Google was busy putting the final touches to its TV blitz. The company will unleash 100 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram
    Devil

Deepak Chopra ?

This alone should be reason enough to pull the plug on Google's telly ambitions !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Amen to that. I'm generally pretty supportive of Google, but as my dad would say, they really fucked a duck on that one.

2. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Is it surprising?

Is it surprising that Google want to increase content available to their services, by making it themselves if necessary? Face it, the media companies haven't exactly been flocking to the web in general and sometimes have been avoiding Google in particular (witness Hulu and Google TV).

Any sane company that wants to do well in this area would be doing similar things. I'm finding it hard to see it as a betrayal of the content industries when they've been such control freaks.

1. DZ-Jay

>> "Face it, the media companies haven't exactly been flocking to the web in general and sometimes have been avoiding Google in particular "

I wonder why...

>> "Any sane company that wants to do well in this area would be doing similar things."

Any sane company would be building bridges to partners, not burning them down. Is Google ready to take on the *entire* content industry? Because just fighting against a bit of it will spark ire against it from the rest.

Seems like the Nexus One plan all over again. Didn't they noticed that it didn't work with the Google TV either? Yes: content, *that* was it. That was the only reason it failed. Right.

-dZ.

3. DrXym

Wow you'd think they'd have more sense

Deepak Chopra expounds pseudoscience and gobbledegook. You'd think a science and technology based org like Google would have more class than to hire someone like that.

4. Eric Crippen

Deepak???

Glad to know I'm not alone in my negative view of that idiot.

5. Graham Bartlett
    Thumb Down

Deepak Chopra and Madonna

After all, if you're going to become shallow self-centred media whores, you might as well learn from the best. The pros, if you like.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And consider the audience

Google will want to attract an audience that's appealing to advertisers: people who watch a lot of crap content, are easily distracted by fluff and nonsense, and frequently make poor purchasing decisions.

In other words, aren't Chopra and Madonna fans precisely what they're aiming for?

6. Duppo Floopery

More bad sci-fi?

Bring it on. And how bad can Google's attempt at low buget sci-fi be compared to the sea of mind numbing reality tv I hear about on cable and broadcast.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

WTF?

Madonna? Are they mental? For years I have been switching off the radio at the first sound of her attempt to write good lyrics or sing.

8. jake Silver badge

A talentless "entertainer" and a con-artist.

That describes both of them, of course ;-)

9. skeptical i
    Facepalm

Are Deepak and Madonna even relevant anymore?

Yes, they make money, but do they draw any more than a morbid curiosity ("They're still alive?") audience? Interesting choice, that.

Confession: I liked (and still do) some Madonna songs, but methinks her star, lucky or otherwise, has passed.

Agree with Duppo: let Google staff create bad sci-fi and post/ broadcast it. It can't be any worse than anything else in movie theaters or on cable.

10. Turtle

He'll find out. . .

"But we have neither the ambition nor the know-how to actually produce content on a large scale."

While he was, as usual, lying when he said that Google doesn't have the ambition to actually produce content on a large scale, even he will be astounded by how true his statement that Google "doesn't have the know-how to produce content" actually is.

He needs to have Google stick to what Google knows and does best: lying and stealing.

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Deepak Chopra and Madonna

The FAIL equivalent of Fred and Ginger?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like