back to article Public/private Aus social networking site launches

Microsoft is using a fledgling Gold Coast based social media site targeting families as the poster-child for its Azure software platform. Queensland couple, Jase and Brooke Farmer, officially launch their start-up, Family HQ this week after a four week beta trail of the site which has attracted 4,616 members from 25 countries …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper
    Meh

That's fine

as long as its userbase is in the thousands, not the millions. As it progresses, one of two things will happen: 1) It will ultimately fail to attract an audience, thus not making enough to cover the costs of running it, and it will fold; or 2) It will continue to grow until it becomes just another Facebook.

By that I mean that as the userbase expands into the millions, so too the costs of running the site and providing technical support will escalate, and so the site will need to make money somehow to cover that. Then the investors and shareholders will want their pound of flesh, so even more money has to come in for that. The only two ways for a SN site to make money are: Charge a periodic subscription fee (which people won't pay when there are so-called "free" alternatives) or provide theso-called "free" alternative, funded by privacy invading advertising. The more privacy-invading, the better.

Assuming this site succeeds to become the next Facebook rival, we will see the same thing: they might have high ideals about privacy now, but when the bills start rolling in those ideals will collapse like the house of cards they are, and the same forces that turned Google and Facebook from genuine services into soulless privacy vampires will simply turn this lot into just another invasive ad-pushing time-waster.

So no thanks. Been there, done that, read the book, seen the movie, bought the T-shirt. I'm not riding that merry-go-round again.

2. Big-nosed Pengie

I'm inherently suspicious of any product that incorporates the word "family". In Australia, at least, the word is code for "right wing Christian".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No different in the US or UK, except that the "christian" bit gets dropped on the right hand side of the pond. In public anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like