back to article Gay-bashing cult plans picket of Steve Jobs funeral

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) have announced their intention to protest at the funeral of Steve Jobs, in a Twitter message sent via an iPhone. The group, best known for their rainbow "God hates fags" signs and web page, are claiming the action is in response to Jobs not using his wealth to promote their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Andrew Moore
    Thumb Down

So scumbags being scumbags again...

I really hope a load of the Apple Faithful give them a really hard time.

1. goats in pajamas

I really hope a load of the Apple Faithful give them a really hard time.

By tutting loudly in their vicinity?

By getting annoyed and posting some nasty words on teh intaweb?

Oh please.

One presumes the church has run out of money (or is about to), so they'll crash the funeral (if they can find out where it is) and hold up some offensive signs in the hope that someone will tell them to clear off, leading to them suing for restriction of free speech.

Of all the people in need of a serious thrashing, it's the Westboro people. Their abuse of scripture is nauseating in the extreme. Only in America...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Why don't some brightly clothed individuals stand next to these twats, with a sign pointing to them saying something like

'I don't agree with these ignorant twats - they're pond scum and God hates them for their intolerant ways'

Let's see how they like free speech then.

1. hplasm
          Devil

godhatesmarlborobaptistchurch.com

anybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Marlboro baptist church

... is made up of a congregation of very heavy smokers.

2. Toastan Buttar
            Pint

Marlboro?

God hates fags?

Ciggies and beer.

2. Dana W
          Meh

They do counterprotest. A LOT.

Google them, the counter protesters often outnumber them by several hundred percent. They ridicule them, and they LOVE it.

The WB church is fishing for lawsuits and media attention and LOVE controversy and attention. Most of them are lawyers, they are hoping that Apple will in some way interfere so they can sue them for many millions of dollars. And given ANY excuse they will.

3. sheep++;
          Thumb Up

Sir...

Well said Sir.

2. steward
        Pirate

Military people are regimented. Apple fans certainly aren't.

WBC may find out that it's rather difficult to mail a lawsuit from the grave.

3. Dropper

Free Speach

A person's free-speech rights are only violated if a government body, say the police, force them to stop protesting on public land. Private security are absolutely allowed to physically remove protesters from private property. The problem with soldier's funerals is that they are indeed often buried on public/government owned land, which presents a problem for those soldier's families.

Presumably Steve Jobs will be buried at a cemetery owned by a private organisation and that means the company that owns the property can use hired security personnel to protect the dignity of families. In the US cemeteries are usually owned by private companies and as long as that is the case, it is perfectly legal for them to protect their private property from trespassers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

really hard time

in the appropriate orifice

2. Zebo-the-Fat
    Unhappy

Interesting!

Interesting how this group "knows what god hates"

If he "hates" a group of people then why did he create them??

All knowing, all powerful, all made up??

1. goats in pajamas

Ignorance

The common theme all the way through the Bible is "God loves the sinner but hates his sin".

So when these retards hold up signs saying "God hates fags", He doesn't. The Westboro people are just provocative idiots with no humility, no love for their fellowman, total disobedience to what scipture instructs Christians to be like and a good working knowledge of the American legal system.

One might venture to say "God hates the Westboro Church" because they trash His Name left, right and center.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@goats in pajamas

There is no evidence to prove that there is any god to hate (or lave) anything.

1. steward
          FAIL

There is no evidence to prove

that an anonymous coward is not a Turing bot.

2. Big-nosed Pengie
        FAIL

'The common theme all the way through the Bible is "God loves the sinner but hates his sin"'?

Clearly you've been reading a very different version of the Bible to the one I've been reading. In mine, God *really* hates the sinner, and visits his retribution unto the seventh generation. He's all for slaughter, rape, pillage and general mayhem - the more the better. He thinks nothing of slaughtering (presumably) innocent babes and children.

As far as "God hates fags" is concerned, I'd say they're absolutely right. He commands us to kill any man who lies with a man as you would like with a woman, just as He commands us to kill any woman who is not a virgin on her wedding night.

If you call yourself a Christian, you'd better get a-stonin' fast before He returns or you'll be in deep shit.

1. Jedit Silver badge
          FAIL

If you're a Christian...

... then you've read the New Testament at some point. So yeah, I guess they are reading a very different version of the Bible to yours - one published in the last 2000 years, for a start.

3. JustMathew
        Joke

Umm..

No, they are right, God does hate fags. God used to smoke 20 a day but can't stand them now...

2. Scorchio!!

Re: Interesting!

"Interesting how this group "knows what god hates"

If he "hates" a group of people then why did he create them??

All knowing, all powerful, all made up??"

But how could any putative god hate any part of its creation? Would that not be tantamount to hating itself, or at least the fruits of its labour?

3. Thomas 4

More to the point

If God hates the world and its people (ok, the second one I can kinda sympathise with), He really has no-one to blame but Himself.

1. sheep++;
        Happy

Ooh Thomas 4... Dangerous ground

Lightning may strike twice :-) Don't shelter under any trees or fly a kite.

4. Richard Scratcher
      Megaphone

It's all in the good book

Below are examples of Leviticus 18:22 in "the bible" where most christian nutjobs get their authority to oppress others. The source text is the same for all versions of the bible but the variety of wording shows that it can be retranslated to better suit a particular point of view. Christ never said anything about homosexuality but he was a busy man and can't be expected to remember everything.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

"It is disgusting for a man to have sex with another man."

"No man is to have sexual relations with another man; God hates that."

"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."

I think the best way to deal with these trolls is to ignore them or laugh at them.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Thumb Up

@Richard Scratcher

The first of your translations is pretty much the accurate one; I've seen it commented before that the only things referred to as abominations in the Bible are homosexuality and the Anti-Christ. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think it shows that some people take things a teensy bit far.

Personally I think the late author David Eddings had it right when one of his characters commented, "Isn't it convenient that the prejudices of God always so closely match those of His prophets?" And if there's one thing God indubitably does hate, it's people who presume to speak for Him.

1. Richard Scratcher

@Jedit

All of those translations were from English versions on the bible I found on biblegateway.com

The first translation was from the King James version but there are another 28 English versions on their site! No doubt each one put its own spin on Bronze Age thinking.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All in the good book?

Seems to me that its gone through so many hundreds, or even thousands of years of translation and interpretation, that much like a horoscope you can conveniently read into it whatever you like.

And besides, there's an awful lot else in Leviticus that is generally ignored by modern Christians. Have a quick peek at the sort of dietary rules that Jews are supposed to follow, for example. But I guess picketing restaurants with GOD HATES SHELLFISH plackards isn't quite as likely to be taken seriously.

(incidentally, one interpretation of the various bits of biblical controversy would suggest that only the act of bumsex with men is bad, but everything else is just fine. knock yourselves out.)

1. Alan 43

Hmm some of the Levitican laws are specific Jewish commandments such as not eating shellfish and pork (because they carry diseases - pigs are full of worms and shellfish are filter feeders full of germs - unless cooked properly)

3. Mostor Astrakan
        Devil

Y'know...

I've always wondered. Because gay men do not, actually, lie with mankind as they would lie with womankind. They lie with mankind as they would with *other* mankind. And of course, lesbian women don't lie with mankind at all.

Or am I now being too Bible literalist myself?

4. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Two points, two flats, and a packet of gravel.

Are members of Westboro Baptist Church wearing clothes made of two different kinds of material?

- Leviticus 19:19: Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material.

Quick, stone them to death

1. Alan 43

isn`t that Levitican law God`s commandment to the Jews?

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shamelessly ripped off

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law... When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

4. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put death, should I do it or should I ask the police to do it?

5. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Aren't there 'degrees' of abomination?

6. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there a little wiggle room there?

7. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

8. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

6. stuff and nonesense
        Devil

Also in Leviticus - Don't wear poly cotton shirts...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19%3A19&version=NIV

How many priests and zealots are guilty of the above....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Westboro Baptist Church

Is there anything these idiots WON'T protest about?

I think they should try to build a better reputation for themselves by just doing nothing except having church on Sundays!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its a legal scam

They protest, someone reacts, they sue over their "Legal rights". Profit!.

As i cant imagine anyone actually hiring Fred Phelps' kids legal practice, and they seem to have quite a turnover, obviously quite a profitable one.

2. Ian McNee
      Alert

That's a rhetorical question, right?

The only reason we know about this tiny insignificant bunch of mindless haters is that media types have wet dreams about them and punt them to the front page: a symbiotic relationship between two groups of people who share a similarly slender grip on reality.

4. ZankerH
    Go

Oh boy...

I hope they do show up. I expect they'll swiftly get mauled to death by an army of rabid apple fans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'd have thought that this was a far more likely outcome at the funeral of a soldier.

5. tantiboh

WBC is shameful, but what you have to remember about them is that it's really nothing more than a business. They use tactics designed to inflame and incite, then sue when somebody snaps and becomes physically violent. It's their source of income.

These people aren't representative of even the right-wing fringe. They're simply a group of scam artists.

1. PassiveSmoking
      FAIL

New Tactics

In that case, I hope the counterprotesters can come up with something non-violent and utterly humiliating for these morons to deal with.

1. Naughtyhorse

i disagree

kill them

kill them all...with fire

and kill them again

1. david wilson

>>"kill them all...with fire"

Well, technically, by what they claim to believe, that would be perfectly OK, since /anyone/ who dies shows that God hates them - there's no such thing as a wrongful death.

It'd be interesting (and possibly entertaining) to see if they *still* claimed to believe that when someone stepped forward to light the woodpile under them

2. Figgus

Kill them all..

I'm suprised nobody has showed up to protest their protests (or even their church)... From 800 yards away... in a gilly suit... with a sniper rifle....

Then the public at large could show up to protest one if THEIR funerals for a change. I'd go.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Car trouble

I understand they've been having a lot of car trouble, lately.

They drive to the site of their protest in a couple of vehicles, which they park some distance from the protest site.

When they complete their protest, they return to their vehicles, only to find all the tires flattened.

Even worse, there seem to be no tow services able to assist.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So I guess the Westboro Baptists are not Christians!

They show no compassion, caring or charity to Mr Jobs' family in their pursuit of publicity. Shame on them and the ungodly man who claims to be their pastor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No true scotsman eh?

The only requirement being being considered "Christian" is belief in Jesus.

The bottom line has very little to do with morality, but salvation through grace... the good deeds are very much optional and denomination dependent.

Who's to say that they don't sincerely think that they're doing "good works", after all, some religious leaders thinks they're doing Africans a favor with awful advice on family planning and STDs.

Let's not kid ourselves; even the mildest protoylser who takes john 3:16 seriously is passing on a veiled threat; compliance or damnation. The westboro mob are just taking it one step further by stating the perceived terms of compliance, and the consequences of disobedience. It's plenty godly in an old testament way; although not very jesus-like and not good PR.

1. Mediocrates

Being "Christian"

"The only requirement being being considered "Christian" is belief in Jesus."

In James 2:19 it says that even the demons believe and they tremble in terror. Clearly belief is not enough, one must also follow.

1. DT

Belief without following does not compute

What you're logically suggesting is the the opposite of Pascal's wager. "Devils" and the odd satanist must be just about the only ones who both know that Jesus offering salvation is real, yet choose to damn themselves by not following him.

Claiming that the westboro mob aren't Christians, either requires psychic powers to be able to say they're not being sincere... or divine knowledge of the will of God to able to say that they aren't following him correctly.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Claiming that the westboro mob aren't Christians, either requires psychic powers to be able to say they're not being sincere... or divine knowledge of the will of God to able to say that they aren't following him correctly."

Or, you know, the ability to read. What you say is only correct if we take the position that nothing in the NT's reporting of Jesus' words is reliable. But at that point we have to then question whether the claim of his existence is reliable.

IF Jesus existed AND the NT reports are reasonably accurate, THEN we can say that he laid down some requirements which can be used as tests as to whether someone is following his teachings or not.

In that light, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that WBC are not Christians, although they probably could qualify as some sort of extreme jewish sect as they're very big on the OT. But the whole point of Jesus is supposed to be that the OT is not the only requirement and, in fact, is out of date in several important areas (mostly involving revenge). If you don't accept that this is a fundamental point that divides Christians from other groups then what you're really saying is that there is no such thing as a Christian at all (which brings us back to the first schism in the religion, but that's another story).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Twit

Look up the definition of "threat" and then tell us how it applies to John 3:16. Hint: It doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not looking very carefully?

"whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

Threat: statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not.

In this case the tacit implication is that you will perish if you don't believe.

The threat is expanded upon by Jesus himself with comments about "wailing and gnashing of teeth", along with of course, the colorful language and imagery conjured up by various different churches re: the devil, hell, purgatory.

As Eddie Izzard said about the CoE: "cake or death?"

Put in other words: “salvation is an attempt to solve a problem of its own making — sin is just a concept from the teaching, like a doctor running around cutting people with a knife in order to sell them a Band Aid.”

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like