back to article HP to bring 6,000 more TouchPads to UK - for staff only

HP is shipping a final batch of 6,000 HP Touchpads to the UK but only employees will be able to nab them, The Register can confirm. It was revealed this morning that HP is offering consumer and biz customers the ability to claim back the delta between the initial buy price and the heavily discounted prices it offered in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

what's this clever marketing from HP

What a stroke of genius, they managed to make the HP Touchpad more desirable than even the iThingAmeGigg. Its the technique normally used by toy companies in the run up to Christmas, claim that this years must have toy isn't available then watch everyone clammier to be allowed to buy one.

I wonder whether they've realise that it order for this technique to actually work, you need to make them available... eventually... in dribs and drabs.

1. Marvin the Martian

A bit unlike the toy companies.

The idea for toy companies is NOT to then sell this limited batch at a loss. And neither is upsetting about 60% of your staff [those that will not be able to get their hands on one, if limited to one per person].

2. HP Cynic

eBane

From a straw poll of people just in my Office everyone is trying to buy one "for the sake of it" or to cash in on eBay.

Shame they did impose the Staff Only, 1-maximum last time they sold them to us as plenty of people bought 3+ and dumped practically the lot on eBay. I and other friends who actually wanted one were not-at-all impressed.

Hopefully another flood of them on eBay will cut down on the profiteering. If I am lucky enough to get one (3rd attempt) I actually plan to USE it! Gasp!

We won't know for another week if we made it into the first 6,000 after which we have a few weeks to confirm a purchase - so the next eBay supply spike is a bit off yet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP to bring 6,000 more TouchPads to UK - for staff only^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hsale on ebay

4. Pete 43
    Meh

Sour grapes ;-)

Who'd want to buy a cheap (pre VW) Skoda?

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Cue another rash of sales on Ebay.

I suppose this is the only way their soon to be outsouced to India staff will get a pay rise/bonus this year.

They would get more dosh if they sold them themselves on Ebay....

6. Chris Judd
    Black Helicopters

Prepare for another surge of Touchpads on eBay then... not that I'm jealous!

7. Levente Szileszky
    Devil

I'm loving the...

subtitle. :)

8. Locky

Ebay ahoy

So that's 6,000 for 10,000 staff. It's a fair bet that many of these staff will see the market value of these things, and flog them

9. deains
    Pint

It's okay

One of their employees is bound to leave one in a bar sooner or later!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also

Employees who bought at full price (or the 100 quid off offer that previously existed) DO get the difference refunded. I know three people who have had this happen. It's just the process to get the money back is different for employees, and detailed on the EPP intranet site (in brief you mail details of your order to an internal email address, the order number you got when you ordered at full price, etc)

11. Martin 15
    Unhappy

Missed out again

And there we were, told pensioners would get the same deals as staff, twaddle.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some of us were only informed of this late on Monday, with registration having opened at 9:30am. Not impressed one bit.

1. Miss Lincolnshire
      Mushroom

Don't you believe it

Registration was actually opened up at around 9.15 it seems. You could certainly get to the password bit before it chucked you out. I thought that was because the page was unavailable but it seems it was more likely due to load.

I have seen a number of confirmations of registration timed before 9.20. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I will be appealing if I don't get one when I registered within the published times at 9.33.

Meanwhile don't anyone hold their breath or bung it on ebay yet

1. LostSoul

Do you know if anyone has got one yet?

I applied early but have not heard anything

13. jediross
    Unhappy

I'm with you on the conspIracy theories Miss Lincolnshire, and I still took a punt and registered even though it was nearer 5pm! If I don't get one I'm gonna be complaining heavily.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like