back to article Logitech Touch Lapdesk N600

OK, so if you're having trouble balancing your notebook on your knees, sitting the machine on a large book or a serving tray is free, but Logitech's Touch Lapdesk N600 is rather better. Logitech Touch Lapdesk N600 The N600 is a rubber-covered - so your laptop won't slip - plastic slab that's large enough to support anything …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Great!

That will hold my dinner and my mug of tea too!

1. N13L5

should at least have a USB laptop cooling fan built in

And that extra touch pad? Rather extraneous for people who can't stand touch pads... a simple slide out mouse pad would have served better.

A really good version of this should have:

1) a built in fan,

2) a USB hub,

3) a compartment for an optional laptop-powering battery

4) a slide-out mouse-pad

5) an optional slide-out touch-pad for those who want to pay for the extra cirquitry.

2. Charlie Stross
    Thumb Down

Not very southpaw-friendly, is it?

I'll be giving it a miss for that very reason ...

1. Ian Stephenson
      Thumb Down

Cack-handers* of the world unite!

It's time that the manufacturers of the world started to cater for us lefties!

*For those cultures with toilet paper who do not get the reference - you eat with your right so as not to affend Allah - or more sensibly because you wiped with your left.

If there is no looroll I'd much prefer the Roman method (sponge on a stick) - where getting "the wrong end of the stick" got it's meaning from.

Even the thumb down is right handed! sheesh.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ungrateful left-handers.....

You already have a monopoly over keyboard design. To quote the icon of accuracy, Wikipedia, "One of the few items in common use that is actually advantageous for left-handers is the QWERTY keyboard. Over 3000 words in English can be typed with only the left hand on the QWERTY board as opposed to some 300 with the right hand, and overall, 56% of the keystrokes made when touch-typing on a QWERTY board are made with the left hand."

At least let us keep this track pad, after all, only 1 in 10 is actually left handed, and how many of them couldn't use this?

PLEASE! THINK! OF! THE! CHILDREN!

2. Pete 6
      Facepalm

Seriously?

How hard is it to use your right hand? It's only a trackpad. I'm pretty sure I'm not the most ambidextrous person in the world but I don't find it at all difficult to use the trackpad on my laptop with either hand.

1. Ian Stephenson
        FAIL

Seriously.

I use an awful lot of spreadsheets and it is so much easier with mouse left, numeric keypad right. I've used a mouse left handed from the time of the Amiga and the muscle memory is far to set to be easily changed.

If I use someone elses machine I eiher have to rearrange the cabling or work with my wrists crossed - not comfortable.

I don't really like touchpads full stop but I do manage with my left - if i have to use a built in pointing control I much prefer the Thinkpad nipple to a touchpad.

3. Dave Murray
    Boffin

So how well does it protect the fellas from the sperm count reducing heat of a laptop?

4. Mark #255
    FAIL

Ikea do lap-trays for about a tenner. The rubber feet on my laptop stop it sliding about. And I can plug a mouse in (and use it on whichever side I like) if I don't want to use the built-in touchpad.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge
      FAIL

I got one that has a little light on it (which I removed because it got in the way and my laptop is more than bright enough even in the pitch-black) and even a cup-holder (which I don't use because I'm paranoid about water on my laptop).

Best bit was, the underside is padded and soft so it fits to your legs, the top is hard and cold (and thus gets rid of a lot of laptop heat really well without needing noisy fans), and you can unzip the padding to clean it (and keep your USB sticks / DVD's in there). It also costs less than one tenth of this feature-replicating junk (I have a touchpad - if you gave me space to the right of the laptop, I'd plug in a damn mouse not another touchpad).

<Mmm, silently wonders if he could fit an old DVD-drive drawer + suitable cover to his bodge-a-tray so that he can pop out a mouse mat for when it's needed...>

5. Select * From Handle
    FAIL

I like the idea but

i spotted a problem...

I need a laptop cooler for my laptop as it heats up very quick. i check the tech specs for this lapdesk and i noticed that its selling points are all about stopping the heat from burning your legs... so where does this heat go? it has no mention of cooling fans. from what i can gather it just insulates it and thus overheats your laptop quicker.

For this reason i wont be buying one. but i might try and fashion one of my own with a laptop cooler.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

uh ?

Heat surely disperses as it would if it were sitting on a desk. The only way it could insulate would be to have a soft surface that covers the laptops fan.

Legs do not make an effective heatsink.

If your laptop is heating up quickly it suggests the cooling isn't working as it should. Check the usual suspects.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Meh?

Fails for so many reasons.

1) As has been mentioned, totally useless for us Lefties.

2) £70 for something that an offcut of wood (for the mousepad) would do just as well. This has the added advantage that it is ambidextrous.

7. Fab De Marco

Lefties Tip....

Go See Mr. N. Flanders over at the leftorium..... He might have something for you.

8. Pete Spicer

I rather suspect some of the above have missed the point

The mousepad side part isn't *just* for a mousepad. It has a built in trackpad that's bigger - and for the majority of the population, that's advantageous, and is where the price comes from.

9. alfienixon

That could be a best one. If it has the cooling system then it is a added advantage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like