back to article Christ appears in phone advert, secular authorities act

Phones4u has managed to offend Christians with a cartoon Jesus offering a thumbs up, apparently endorsing its range of Samsung handsets rather than the more-traditionally messianic iPhone. The advert drew 98 complaints, more than enough to trigger an investigation into the ad which appeared in the national press just before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jamie Edwards
    Thumb Down

What's wrong with that?

"gave the impression that [Phones4u] were mocking and belittling core Christian beliefs"

1. John G Imrie
      Trollface

They are mocking Athiests too

buy claiming the Jesus could perform Miracles.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Trollface

They could do an atheist version.

A cartoon of Richard Dawkins saying "These phone offers are obviously the best you can get and if you disagree you must be some kind of retard or primitive barbarian"

If you want to be rude and offensive then Prof. Dawkins is usually the man for the job.

NB:I'm an atheist but I don't like his attitude.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

I'm an atheist...

...and I don't like *your* attitude.

1. chr0m4t1c

No, I'm and atheist

</SPARTACUS>

2. Alastair Dodd 1
    WTF?

I'd more complain that it's ripping off

Kevin Smith and the film Dogma. That is blatantly the Buddy Christ!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

no, no, no,

there's no such thing as intellectual property, remember? we must all "stick it to the man", otherwise we're a bunch of capitalist squares, no? or is it just starving composers whose record companies' revenues we have to kibosh?

3. jm83

Dogma

Kevin Smith ought to have a word in their shell like.

4. minnsey
    Holmes

pffffttt not even original

Worse than that they've just nicked Buddy Christ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Christ

5. Natural7
    FAIL

So basically...

They just ripped off buddy christ from dogma?

6. Dangermouse 1
    Thumb Up

Buddy Christ

It's clearly the 'Buddy Christ' from Kev Smith's Dogma. Snootchie bootchies!

7. sellorm

Buddy Christ

Not bothered about annoying Christians but surely there's a copyright infringement case here as well. The character depicted in the ad is called Buddy Christ and is from the Kevin Smith film Dogma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Christ

8. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Discrimination

I missed the recent advert portraying Mohammed sporting the new HTC ChaCha just before Ramadan..... What? There wasn't one?

Who'd have thunk it.

Not even an advert with Moses showing off his latest shatter-proof tablet!

Anyway, Phones4U strike me as being the most dodgy-car-dealer-esque of all the mobile phone peddlers out there; I speak from experience.

1. Fogcat

Shonky

Not used em since I went in and said "any network except Vodafone" and the first package they tried to sell me was Vodafone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

@Shonky

That's because you said 'Vodaphone'. They are only programmed to respond to single words.

2. Ross 7

Tablets

"Not even an advert with Moses showing off his latest shatter-proof tablet!"

Deserves a thumbs up just for that :)

9. CareTaker
    Trollface

Copyright

This looks suspiciously like The Buddy Christ from the Kevin Smith film Dogma.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The winking thumbs-up jesus stamp of approval

I'd just like to give "mocking and belittling core Christian beliefs" and "causing serious offence, particularly to Christians" the winking thumbs-up jesus stamp of approval. In fact can we make this a standard approval logo, and get a new forum icon featuring it?

1. Mark 65

@Chris 19

I'd like to make them a national pastime.

11. Chewy

Buddy Christ

Could have made Kevin Smith some more cash

12. semprance
    Trollface

Really?

Wow, I didn't know the church of Little Mindedton had 98 members

13. hitmouse
    Angel

Core christian beliefs

They should have had Jesus stoning adulterers with portable phones. That's pretty core.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

well actualy

Well actualy the mobile phone network I use is able to get capacity for 100 people and do some magic changing it into capacity that they can sell to 10000 people. Now I've checked the water wine thing and as volume goes this mobile phone company does more. Also changing water into wine is easy, it's getting an export liscence for said wine afterwards that the real magic.

2. Paul_Murphy

I see what you almost did there...

(hard)core .... good one, very subtle.

ttfn

3. John G Imrie

As mutch as I like lambasting Christians

The documentary evidence suggests that Jesus would be stopping the stoning of adulterers.

1. NomNomNom

actually

Jesus being without sin was meant he was the first one to throw a stone. What he was saying was let me go first.

1. David Dawson

Frustratingly

The central tenet of Christianity is a belief in grace/ mercy.

That story was a good illustration; after shaming the mob into sparing the woman, he then refused to judge her and showed mercy/ compassion instead. I wish I could be that strong willed.

In any case, judging/ moralising should be a totally alien concept to a christian.

Alas, humans are judgemental, and a thin veneer of religion doesn't seem to improve your mark 1 human, it merely gives them another thing to judge with.

The whole 'God is on my side' is a terrible thing to argue against.

Time for a drink.

2. cyborg
        Joke

No

He just wanted the first crack at it.

3. Montreal Sean

What do you baste them with?

I find that a nice garlic barbecue sauce works best...

I supposed the traditionalists wouldn't baste, just serve with mint jelly...

14. JakeyC

98 people...

In other news, 98 people seriously need to find something significant to get upset about.

If your life is so easy that you have no problems to sort out besides complaining about a stylized cartoon of a famous dead guy - then I'm very jealous of you all.

If I'd spent my life uttering profundities and my image was still used 2000 years after my death, I'd be very chuffed indeed.

I expect Jesus feels the same and is now cursing those who got him removed from the Phones4U ad campaign.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Umm - re depictions of Allah.

Just out of curiosity how would I recognise a depiction of Allah if I saw one? Does he look like Jesus?

Come to that why does everyone expect Jesus to be white and with long hair (and more so for the big G as well!)?

Also why is it that any form of discussion regarding religion also has to tread carefully to avoid offending anyone?

If religious people actually believed what they said they believed then anyone saying anything against their religion would be laughed at and mocked rather than attacked.

Ok - enough trolling for now

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Because

"Also why is it that any form of discussion regarding religion also has to tread carefully to avoid offending anyone?"

The problem is that some people consider religion to be the most important aspect of their life. As such, they do take it very personally when you question them about their religion, even if it is a genuine question and not an attempt to criticise the religion dressed up as question (and I know several people who will happily do that).

Personally, I don't believe in any religion, and if anyone disagrees with me, that's their business, I don't get offended, even if they tell me I am wrong.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Alert

Not just religion

Some atheists can be very touchy about it as well. I used to work with such bloke. Now me, I'm atheist but by and large I just ignore the issue. I pretty much regard it as just another club that some people happen to be members of. But this chap could get really worked up over religion and nearly foam at the mouth attacking it.

2. Shakje

@Stuart

"even if it is a genuine question and not an attempt to criticise the religion dressed up as question"

Even if it *is* a criticism dressed up as a question, what's wrong with that? Why shouldn't we be allowed to criticize religious beliefs as we would with anything else? I get incredibly annoyed when people come out with the "you can't criticize that, it's what I believe" argument, which seems to be getting more popular. Just because you believe something and that belief is important to you, doesn't make you right, and doesn't make you above being criticized. In the interests of civility there are ways of doing things, but the act of criticizing something shouldn't be dismissed just because it's criticism.

1. John G Imrie

"you can't criticize that, it's what I believe"

But I believe that I can criticize yore[sic] beliefs. So who wins now :-)

2. Paul Naylor
      Thumb Up

Agreed

"If religious people actually believed what they said they believed then anyone saying anything against their religion would be laughed at and mocked rather than attacked."

Very good point. Religion is the only thing that automatically assumes immunity from any kind of criticism or analysis, obviously because their 'arguments' are so easy to refute. I'm sick and tired of a secular society having to tippy-toe around these godbotherers, for fear of saying or doing something that they deem "offensive".

Kudos to Phones4U for running this though. However, I think that using religion to sell anything would, as an atheist, put me off. Shouldn't we Free Thinkers be more offended?

3. David Dawson
      Thumb Up

Umm - re depictions of Allah.

Ok - enough trolling for now

--------------------

I think you need to practise your trolling a bit more.

More CAPS and less of the good reason please ;-)

16. Kevin Lomax

Buddy Christ?

Isn't that just a pic of "Buddy Christ" from Kevin Smith's "Dogma"?

httx://tinyurl.com/42sq3ft

17. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

That's not Jebus thats Neil from the Young One's

Failing that could be some chap called Mo, but dont look invisible enough to be anything religious. So as a aithiest I find this officencive towards my non-religion that this has happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

One Hundred Hail Marys for you!

For that misplaced apostrophe!

1. John G Imrie
        Coat

As he's an Athiest

Shouldn't that be One Hundred Hail Dorkins?

18. garhol
    Angel

namechange

Surely they can avoid this mess with a name change to "Phones4Jew"

19. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Mushroom

Core Christian Beliefs?

I think maybe they forgot the bit about forgiveness. In my mind, by complaining, they have shown themselves to not be proper Christians and therefore fair game for mockery.

Bring it on, small minded middle-England zealot-folk!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

You think that forgivness means never mentioning the thing that has caused offence?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Holmes

Yes, seriously.

When it is supposedly a core tenet of the religion in questions, I think it should probably cover not making an official complaint over something so petty.

Or maybe it should be, "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, except for when we feel like a good bitch and moan"?

As a footnote, I find it sad that so many people are still ready and willing to believe things that they are told to be true, despite there being no evidence for them*, by those with questionable motives. It's almost as if the Enlightenment never happened.

*Books written several centuries after the 'fact' by people who by definition couldn't have been there, and which were compiled, translated, and heavily edited by authoritarian religious organisations over a period of centuries in order to suit the political motives of dictators in the middle ages don't count.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Err...

Just because someone has been forgiven something, doesn't mean that there shouldn't be an element of punishment or penitence involved.

Complaining about something (as opposed to banging on constantly) is fine. Bringing up something again and again after the fact is not.

However from the tone of your comment, I don't expect you to agree, as you've obviously fairly little understanding of religion and what you have seems to only exist to help you oppose and mock it.

2. easyk

just to be clear

I don't believe the bible is divinely inspired but you should check your dates. There are in existence gospels dating back to within 30 years or jebus's end and those are likely transcriptions or versions of oral history. The other books in the New Testey are things like correspondence between early churches and treatese on church doctrine and of course the mindf**k that is the book of revelations. A book I enjoyed that you might as well is "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman.

20. Jim 59

Appropriate

Things like this are better described as "innapropriate" rather then "offensive". The trouble is the ad sends mixed messages and could appear to be saying almost anything - maybe encouraging contempt for a UK minority, maybe just being funny as the wonk suggested, or maybe spitting on the faith of billions worldwide. Basically, it's all best avoided if we all want to live in harmony.

21. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

RE: "depictions of Jesus are generally OK "

"Depictions of Allah aren't allowed, as any depiction can offend Muslims, depictions of Jesus are generally OK as long as he's not winking, holding a heart, or endorsing any mobile phone that didn't come from Apple."

That actually depends on how "Low Church" the particular se(c)t of Godbotherers is. A number of the very fundamentalist protestant sects take a *very* dim view of *any* depiction on the grounds that it borders on worshipping idols or graven images and the like.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like