back to article HP sics Spaniards on Larry Ellison

Hewlett-Packard's legal fight with Oracle over Intel's Itanium processor has now landed in Spain. On Friday, La Comisión Nacional de la Competencia (CNC), the Spanish antitrust authority, released a statement saying that it had launched for formal investigation into Oracle's decision to cease development of its database, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Linh Pham
    FAIL

Srsly?

The writer didn't include the perfect Monty Python reference in this article? Fine, I'll say it: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

2. asdf
    FAIL

lol at Itanium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Itanium_Sales_Forecasts_edit.png

tells you

1. Gartner (or whoever) sucks at predicting success

2. IA64 is one of the biggest flops in the history of computing

Why again does Oracle HAVE to support the few thousand IA64 machines still running in production?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why again does Oracle HAVE to support the few thousand IA64 machines still running in production?

The usual reason is that they signed a contract saying they would.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Trollface

RE: lol at Itanium

More like LOL @ the Sunshiner!

Would you care to compare Oracle licensing revs for Itanium over the years to those for UltraSPARC V? How about hp Integrity vs Sun Supernova? I'll be genearous, we can compare Snoreacle CMT to hp Integrity, that will at least give you a positive figure to start with, though it's going to be a very quick and painful comparison for you!

/SP&L

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

@Matt Bryant - Itanic is dog slow.

Clock for clock, the Itanium box I recently did my HP-UX training on feels massively slower than the 'UltraSpank' v210 i've got. I'm been generous too, as the HP boxes had nearly 33% more total MHz.

You may mock the Sunshiners, but check for turds in your swimming pool first.

What astounded me further, was how ancient HP-UX feels compared to Solaris 8, or some linux 2.2 distro. Even that didn't prepare me for how gobsmacked I was when we repeated the whole tortuous charade on PA-RISC.

Thats 3 days of my life i'm never going to get back.

If at worst, a CMT box is clock for clock equal to USII or USIII (which the T1 probably was) then sorry, SPARC eats Itaniums lunch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

so what you seem to be saying...

... is that to you HP-UX/Itanium "feels old and slow"?

well I happen to think that using products and support services from Oracle "feels like standing under a shower of sh*t", but I'm not sure that's relevant in any way!

Apparently business folk demand this thing called "empirical evidence" - I'm not sure how many purchasing decisions are going to be made on how a sysadmin feels about a platform

you are entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm not sure you can use it as an argument that supports the statement "itanic is dog slow"

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

RE: @Matt Bryant - Itanic is dog slow.

"....the Itanium box I recently did my HP-UX training on...." Boy, it's like shooting fish in a barrel! Can I suggest you are doing hp-ux training because your boss has realised Slowaris is a dead-end? Or that maybe the training company is using cheap/simple old workstations to train on, rather than more expensive but real servers? Even hp in the UK, down at the old training site at Nine Mile Ride, used to use ancient kit for training as the idea was to get you used to hp-ux commands and techniques rather than demonstrate the performance.

".....when we repeated the whole tortuous charade on PA-RISC....." Just proves the above point - nobody buys PA-RISC today, not unless it's off e-bay or for a museum. But I can also suggest you're talking out your backside as even old PA-RISC used to cane UltraSPANKed in any form.

"....a CMT box is clock for clock...." <Sigh> Back to school for you! It's not the number of clocks, it's what you do each clock, just liek the old comparison of x86 vs RISC. Our ancient rp2470s (old PA-RISC) used to be faster Oracle servers than Nigara systems simply because they had real RISC CPUs that did a lot more per clock than the wheiner-core Niagaras.

Still, good luck in your new career as an hp-ux admin, at least you have a career future now!

/SP&L

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

That's pretty funny.

The antitrust authority looking into the decision of of the REFUSAL of a non-monopolistic [definitely not a trust] database provider to furnish the goods for a hardware architecture about which every tech hack had to write at least one self-indulgent piece about how it would "take over the world". In the 90's.

Antitrust - mainly providing jobs for lawyers as usual.

4. Dazed and Confused

why Itanium

well from a business prospective Oracle made 3 times as much money from selling software on Itanium than it did from selling software on Sparc, so if they wanted to cut their costs they would have cut Sparc and not Itanium. The conclusion therefore is that they have another agenda.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Something tells me

Some important Spanish government database or two is on Oracle/Itanium and HP's had a quiet word with them. The wheels of justice wouldn't turn so quickly otherwise.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: Something tells me

As someone that has made a living out of consulting to various governments, I can confirm there are many such databases using Oracle on hp Integrity across Europe. What must really annoy Larry is some of those are running Oracle as the DB for SAP!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

If you think this is about IA64 you are a fool

Whether you are at all interested in IA64, everyone should applaud what HP are doing here - Oracle are showing _many_ signs of starting to abuse their market position, whether they are in a monpoloy or not. This wasn't about IA64, it was about HP-UX - if HP came out tomorrow and said they were releasing HP-UX on x86, no way would Oracle support it... you watch, it will be RHEL and SLES next in Oracle's sights (already signs of this now... ksplice, lack of Oracle product certification for RHEL6 etc...)

7. JuanMaBlue
    Facepalm

Spanish politicians at work

I'm Spanish and I love my country: olive oil, flamenco, jamon, (ham), nice weather (too dry sometimes..). Above all, friendly people. That's my little old home. There is only one pesky detail I hate of Spain: the politicians. This stupid idea of making a headline in the anti-competitive front is so typical of them...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

RE: Spanish politicians at work

"......This stupid idea...." So, you think it's a good idea that Snoreacle should be allowed to limit your choice of server platform with the intention of selling you a cr*ppy option like CMT? You do work in computing, right?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Cooking the frog..

Obvious that Oracle is targeting Itanium this year, Linuxen (other than their own) next year and IBM the year after that. Customers who think otherwise are just kidding themselves.

Larry and Mark want it ALL..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like