back to article My Translator Pro UK

The holiday season is upon us, and a good phrase book can be a very useful addition to your collection of apps when you’re travelling abroad. Of course, most language apps tend to focus on one specific language, so I was tempted by My Translator Pro as it can translate typed-in phrases into more than 50 different languages and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Hughes 1

So let me get this right

Somebody has released an app which is basically a gui on to Googles translate system...and charges 0.69p. (OK, not a lot)

Is anyone out there actually doing any real innovative work any more? Or are all these 'apps' TM just piggybacking on others efforts?

1. hammarbtyp

and how long will it work..

I thought Google had announced that the API to goole translate was being deprecated. So if they do use this service it may not work for much longer

2. JimCosser
    Stop

Re: Let me get this right

Yes it appears to piggyback but did you really expect them to have written a custom translation tool for 50 languages for 69p?

Plus it allows offline access so it has additional functionality thats worth the small price.

1. James Hughes 1

I'm not dissing the work involved

Just that the work is pretty trivial - and that real innovation seems to be somewhat missing in 'app' space. Even Angry Birds, the current poster child, is just a knock off of previous 'chuck stuff at buildings' games. With pretty graphics. And pigs.

(Not that I could do any better, I've had all the innovation beaten out of me over the years)

3. Eponymous Cowherd
    Stop

Shame my Android can't do this....

Oh, wait.........

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Indeed it can

Reviewed on this very organ only a few months ago

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/04/26/app_of_the_week/

It is free, it has voice recognition, in both directions so you can actually hold a conversation with someone using it. However it doesn't have offline support and doesn't support so many languages.

4. ROG
    Megaphone

The bylne reminds me of some Roger Waters!

"scusi dov'è il bar

(What?)

se para collo pou eine toe bar

s'il vous plait ou est le bar

(...say it in English!...)

oi, where's the fucking bar John?

(Oh, now you're talking!)"

Oh! Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the day

Down!

Go, Maggie!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like