back to article Is a Fusion-io bubble building up?

Did you ever! Fusion-io shares opened at $25, $6 above the $19 IPO price and valuing the company at $1.9bn. Is this a flash bubble? The Fusion-io IPO was priced to value the start-up at $1.5bn, a sum that has now been exceeded, and which seems out of all proportion to the value of Fusion's relatively old technology. Unless new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Todd
    Stop

Just to point out the bleedin' obvious

Comparing 512 byte IOPS on one system with 4K IOPS on the other is an apples vs oranges exercise. 4K alligns with a flash page size to start with (a 512 byte random IO has to read all of a 4K page before extracting the 512 byte sector) so 4K is bound to be faster.

1. Storage_Person
      WTF?

Apples to Apples

So if a 512 byte read needs to read 4K from the underlying storage can you explain exactly why comparing the number of 512 byte reads to the number of 4K reads is such a bad comparison? Sounds like they are very much apples to apples to me.

1. Jim Bob
        Headmaster

Them's some weird apples...

"So if a 512 byte read needs to read 4K from the underlying storage can you explain exactly why comparing the number of 512 byte reads to the number of 4K reads is such a bad comparison? Sounds like they are very much apples to apples to me."

So I say that I can crack an egg and separate the yolk in 5 seconds then you say you can crack an egg in 1 second. Is this comparing apples & apples?

2. Assumed Name
    Thumb Up

Perfectly timed IPO. Bravo.

The Apple WWDC...talk about Facebook and Apple as clients...IPO madness. Better than a rattlesnake in a stockyard.

PERFECT timing. I'd say Fusion IO just made it through the door in time. Congrats to those who got rich, my condolences to those caught holding a bag full of parts that are being commoditized (in the form of a share of this stock) as I write this sentence...

I think Fusion will muddle along well enough to draw in quite a few people blinded by the shine of gold they assume is associated with anything associated with Facebook.

In the end, the music will stop and small investors will be left wondering what happened. "I thought they were redefining IT infrastructure and driving everyone else out of business."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like