back to article Sandi Toksvig puts the 'n' into cuts - on the Beeb

The BBC has defended a joke by The News Quiz presenter Sandi Toksvig which, according to the Daily Mail, may have irreparably undermined the very bedrock of decency on which Middle England stands. The quip in question was broadcast last October at 6.30pm, and once again the next day at 12.30pm. Discussing the Tories and child …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Shaun 1

Tabloid Watch

A good article about this here: http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2011/06/mail-on-sunday-attacks-bbc-for-word.html

Very interesting blog to read

2. Anonymous IV

Was it in her script?

Since the "chairman's script" is credited to one or more scriptwriters, it probably originated there. Or maybe it was an ad-lib?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never heard of the News Quiz

before reading this. unfortunately I've heard of Sandi Toksvig.

4. jason 7
    Facepalm

As the great Dave Allen said when he swore on the Big Breakfast..

Johnny Vaughan apologised to any children watching for Dave swearing and Dave simply looked at him surprised and said -

"What do you mean? I learnt all those words from children!"

Top man. Greatly missed. There does appear to be a new agenda of puritanism and stamping on anything that goes against the order of things. Maybe its a secret agenda that the establishment thinks that society is very agitated at the moment and could break bringing their reign down?

Oooooooooo!

5. EddieD

I remember that one...

I laughed quite considerably. My right-leaning friends were less impressed, but because of the political implications, not the vulgarity.

Times change, standards change, values change. Looking at TV from the '60s, it seems incredibly restrained. Now most soaps have the occasional sh1t, p1ss, no-one seems to mind.

The audience for the News Quiz are, well, Radio 4 listeners, and I doubt many of them were too upset, and Sandi played it for laughs with skill. The fact that there doesn't seem to have been a complaint I think indicates that the outrage from John Whittingdale, Conservative, Maldon is more akin to the reaction I mentioned above.

I think a go forth and multiply is called for to this "outrage".

All the best.

1. Naughtyhorse

Looking at TV from the '60s, it seems incredibly restrained...

Did you not get "Til Death Us Do Part" round your way?

But I guess thats a diffrent kind of offensive, and of a different kind of people.

:-)

2. Mark 65

Let us not forget

A certain Fawlty Towers episode where the Colonel discusses with Basil the time he took a date to the cricket. Certain terms were used in the description of the match participants that wouldn't be acceptable now but were on broadcast tv then so attitudes certainly do change. It's not as if she even used the actually word itself it is just implied. The complainant is clearly a puritanical twunt themselves.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

I don't know.....

Why do people find King Cnut (former King of England, Norway, Denmark and Sweden) so offensive?

Though I didn't know he was also a Tory responsible for cuts to Daily Mail baiting scroungers and layabouts.....

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

Beats me...

It's not a good analogy, though, as Cnut ordered the tide to go out as a demonstration to his lords that there were limits to man's power. The Tories have no such delusions of realism.

1. YARR
        Mushroom

Re "The Tories have no such delusions of realism."

Yes they've left Gordon "save the world" Brown and Barack "born on Krypton" Obama far behind.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris Collins

From the 'pedia

Q>

Cnut the Great[2] (Old Norse: Knūtr inn rīki;[3] c. 985 or 995 – 12 November 1035), also known as Canute, was a king of Denmark, England, Norway and parts of Sweden.

/Q

Plus, you missed the joke you humourless cunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

I stand corrected

@ Chris Collins

I was wrong with my Cnut history, your right. I apologise for my mistake.

However, your language leaves a lot to be desired, Chris, I hope your phallus* drops off with rot.

Phallus - cock to the uneducated twat.

1. asiaseen

Pedantically speaking

a cock is a phallus only when it is erect.

1. Jedit Silver badge
              Headmaster

Pedantically speaking...

... a cock is a phallus whenever it's long enough to dangle, hard or soft. You're propagating a phallusy.

2. Mark 65
          Coffee/keyboard

@Chris Collins

<-- See icon

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

What, sorry you what?

@AC 11:55

"there are many Kings called Cnut, none of which ruled England, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden *at the same time* "

Ah, you Pedant you.

Who was on the throne of England in 1020 (CE or AD, its the same thing)? Where else was this person King? I think you might like to revise what nations were where and who ruled them all.

Who said there was a link between his name and female genitalia?

BTW - nice epic fail there.

3. a cynic writes...
      Coat

Is it because..

1. having gained the throne thanks to with the use of a spear, a privy and very loyal assassin he had the two face git who organised it executed? Possibly for doing it, more likely for mentioning it in public.

2. ordering (albeit unsuccessfully) the kids of the man with a spear in his bottom executed?

3.nicking my village off of the Bishop of London? ( According to the Domesday book, William the Bastard gave it back)

4. being an anagram.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Truth hits home

'Nuff said.

1. Juillen 1
      Facepalm

Truth?

Oh, just your opinion, therefore it must be the truth. Fair enough.

They're politicians, which says a lot about them generically. And it's also actually true.

8. Chris_B

Cut it out !

Typical response from an MP who as we all know are pushing though a load of 'cuts' right now.

1. frank ly
      Happy

You mean......

Typical response from a cut who ......

(They like to think they're a cut above the rest of us but really their all cut from the same cloth. That's enough cutting wit for now.)

9. Sarev
    Facepalm

Won't somebody please think of the children?

So this is a program called "The News Quiz" on the radio, Radio 4 no less. If they had even one child listening I'd be impressed.

1. Max Pritchard
      Childcatcher

My sons were listening...

... and it went completely over their heads because of the way it was phrased. It didn't even prompt the usual flurry of questions about something they don't understand.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Coat

The kids must be very small..

.. if "that" went over their heads (*).

The one with the Radio 4 podcast, thanks..

(*) joking aside, that was the first thing I thought. If they didn't know what the joke was it would not affect them as it would indeed go over their head (I'll refrain from using the opening for rude jokes, although that was in itself a pun), if they did it would no longer be a problem. So I cannot really see the issue either.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marmite

It's revenge for the Danes sleighting Marmite. Yup, two groups of loony nationalists making life less pleasant for the rest of us.

11. g e
    Joke

Poor old Colin

I feel so sorry for him.

He obviously found it quite Harrowing....

Ok. Coat got.

12. tony72
    Thumb Up

Shocked!

Sandy Toksvig made a joke that I actually find funny!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I thought

it wasn't actually tremendously funny. But when they passed round a bottle of the notorious Buckfast cheap "tonic wine" (caffeinated so that when you should pass out, you don't), and apparently all got impressively quickly drunk, -that- was most terrifically funny. It's deceptively strong stuff.

But I rather dislike the C-word when so used, partly because I gather that in the U.S. it has a different and more unpleasant secondary meaning, in the neighbourhood of "slut and/or whore". In Britain it basically means "inconsiderate", but it is provocatively rude.

So maybe it was funnier than I felt it to be.

2. Vic

Re: Shocked!

> Sandy Toksvig made a joke that I actually find funny!

Yeah, but she nicked it from Private Eye.

Vic.

13. Vitani

Cutns

Sounds like kittens!

1. Richard Taylor 2
      Alert

and

will someone please think about the kittens?

14. Christoph

Pretty mild

She's been a guest panellist on "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue", which has got away with *much* worse.

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Happy

Yes, but...

The true master of the game was Lionel Blair...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Don't Forget...

...what Samantha gets up to in the record library with the (sometimes multiple) kindly old archivist!

2. Roger Varley
        Happy

Lionel Blair

Sorry - Lionel Blair was the master of "Give us a Clue". It was ISIHAC that gave us such gems as

"OK, let's try something else...anything else. The next game is a quickie round giving ample time for the teams to give vent to their full acting range. It's called Sound Charades, and it's played in tribute to that great TV show Give Us A Clue, where the players conveyed a film title without speaking and within a strict time limit. The undisputed mime maestro was, of course, Lionel Blair, & who can forget the look of relish on his face when he was given two minutes on The African Queen?!"

2. John G Imrie

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

Colin Harrow, really must lessen to more I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, where Samantha tells me she has to go now as she's off to the country residence of her new gentleman friend, who has some interesting birds in the thicket. He keeps a young chicken, but Samantha says there are also wild breeds there, and she can't wait to see his Woodcock, Pullet and Swallow.

3. Richard Large

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I was about to come out with the same thing - I remember Humphrey Lyttleton doing a similar joke with exactly the same outcome about Scunthorpe.

1. Dave Bell
        Coat

Scunthorpe is infamous

The Scunthorpe joke most be nearly as old as the town--it used to be five seperate villages--and I would be unsurprised if Max Miller was responsible.

As for Sandi Toksvig, the style of the joke is typical of her, depending on ingenious use of language and a certain verbal facility on the part of the audience. Not everyone is equipped to appreciate her cunning...

I'll get my coat. It's the one with the blue book in the pocket.

1. Is it me?

For those not old enough...

If Typhoo put the T in Britain who put the S in .....

It's so old I was a primary school when I heard it, and yes I knew the word, was naughty, just not what it meant.

4. Norm DePlume

Precedents

Very slightly different, but Ronnie Barker - Rindercella. Standards were clearly very different back then.

(I don't think it was the only time he did dodgy spoonerisms either.)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

ISIHAC

Absolutely. I recently re-listened to a few years worth of ISIHAC episodes and once or twice was surprised by what they get away with. I don't think Sandi's joke would even mildly offend the lovely Samantha.

6. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Up

And we needn't mention.....

some of the lovely Samantha's antics with her various gentlemen friends on ISIHAC.

15. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

Perhaps if the BBC...

Whilst I agree that there are some terms that can be used in a humerous manner at an early hour, that particular word (IMHO) in no way has lost any shock value over recent years and is no way suitable for ANY hour of the day over broadcast media, or in any other aspect of life for that matter. In fact it is the only word that when used in conversation will make me firmly take issue with the user of it.

And to the BBC : If it has lost this "shock value" then why aren't you broadcasting it more often?

Perhaps if the BBC spent less time broadcasting shit, and concentrated more on quality then this country wouldn't be going down the pan in terms of how we all talk to one another in a respectful manner.

1. Alex McDonald 1
      WTF?

I'm assuming heavy irony here...

...since you managed a sh1t in something the children might read. Either that, or you're an inconsistent daft laddie.

2. Ted Treen

Well said.

Well expressed and unfortunately true.

Pint?

You deserve one Sir (or Madam) for a succinct truism.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh gosh

it's A WORD. A combination of sounds. You're shocked by it? Then I envy your life cause you don't know what shock is.

Should BBC use it casually? Probably not, because of people like you. Should they be penalized for it, should anyone really care? I think not.

Get a life.

4. cyborg
      FAIL

I find your use of the word "shit" shocking

I demand that my arbitrary choice of ranking of offensive phenome groups be given the proper respect it deserves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

@cyborg

I find your use of the word "shit" shocking

Ah just FCUK of and get a life

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

why aren't you broadcasting it more often?

They do. It was recently used on the Today show in an item about a Tory minister

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like