back to article Micron streaks away with PCIe flash

There's fast PCIe flash and then there's Micron's just-announced P320h PCIe flash. PCIe flash is for servers needing minimal I/O delays in fetching data to memory. Instead of having that data on hard disk drives, which have millisecond delivery times, the servers can stir on the cards attached to the PCIe bus and have the data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

"very little processing is offloaded to the host server's processor"

? why is any offloaded to the host?

seems odd to me.

1. Barry Burke

Ask Fusion-IO

The drivers for Fusion-IO cards are notorious for placing a heavy burden on the hosting CPU - that is probably why it is mentioned...

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

Can you tell me...

...how this stands against OCZ PCI cards? I suspect OCZ is still in the lead here and is conspicuous by its absence.

1. the_leander
      Boffin

RE: Can you tell me..

Looking at OCZ's website their consumer stuff seems to top out at around 750Mb/s read and their top end enterprise kit at 1.4Gb/s. So yeah, this thing is quite a bit faster.

Mind you, I imagine that there is a serious price premium on these things.

3. DRendar
    Boffin

So when I win the lottery...

Can I just bung one of these in my Desktop, and install Windows7 / Ubuntu as if it were a SATA drive, or does it require a host OS to drive it?

1. MarkieMark1
      Holmes

at that price

it could hardly be worth it for a desktop; $16/GiB when for a fifth of the price you could afford some 20 normal hard drives in a RAID 0/1 array, albeit needing some electricity :-)

1. DRendar
        Thumb Up

RAID

Hehe - Yeah you could, but you'd need mega space, and like you say - power to drive it - which means more heat, and more fans etc.

Does anyone know the answer to my original Q? Does this appear to the PC BIOS as a drive / array or not?

I want to know, as my palm reader told me I'm going to win the Euro-Millions this week and I've no reason not to believe her.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like