back to article Outland

A quick check of the map confirms the hero’s next objective – a mere two levels above him. What the map doesn’t reveal are the obstacles standing between him and that adventure-progressing goal. Outland How Inca-pacitiating Skilfully evading not one, but two spike traps with graceful fleetness of foot, the hero finds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. deadlockvictim

Prince of Persia Redone?

It is very pretty.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Oh look, a side-scrolling platformer, how quaint.

Oddworld called, they asked for Abe...

1. juice

Eh?

Abe's 2D Oddworld games weren't really platformers: they were a set of puzzles wrapped in a platformer context (much as Prof Layton is a set of puzzles wrapped in a loose RPG setting).

This looks closer to classics such as Midnight Resistance, Gryzor and Bionic Commando...

1. Miek

Re: Eh?

I was thinking it looked a bit like Flashback with super revamped graphics.

1. Ragarath
          Thumb Up

Flashback to...

Flasback. My thoughts exactly. Looks and sounds very very similar.

That's a good thing BTW.

3. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

It's nice

I'm enjoying it, but I don't find anything groundbreaking about it. The light/dark thing is a good twist, but beyond that it's pretty generic as platformers go. The skill accumulation isn't as exciting as found in Metroid or Shadow Complex.

If you're interested in modern platformers with a twist, try playing Limbo, Braid and Shadow Complex, each is a near-perfect game IMHO. Outland is good but compared to these three has a long way to go.

4. Bernard M. Orwell
    Thumb Down

Hold on there.....

You gave this retro, minimalists, storyless, sidescrolling bag of doggy-do 85% and yet you gave LA Noire 80%.

Methinks that El. Reg should stay the hell away from reviewing games when they clearly have no idea.

1. Steven Knox
      Happy

That's why they're called "opinions"

I personally consider "retro", "minimalist" and "storyless" positive aspects of a game. You obviously do not. To each his own.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Foolery

That's comparing chalk and cheese buddy. 80-85% is a totally fare reflection of LA Noire. It has eaten my life for the past 4 days and it's brilliant, but it doesn't warrant more, there are too many flaws. Still, I'll be pushed to find a game I enjoy more this year (until Skyrim).

This is a completely different type of game to LA Noire and can only be judged within its genre. It wouldn't eat my life, but it may do for someone else who enjoys these kind of games.

I think the guys (and gals) who do the games reviews here are 'usually' spot on with their assessments. Considering this one (different guy from LA Noire review) writes about games for a national paper too, I'd be careful with your accusations about not knowing their business.

Perhaps you should stay away from forum trolling. You clearly have no idea.

5. The First Dave
    Dead Vulture

untitled

Why is this logged under "Hardware" ??

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Where's Sean Connery?

see title

7. E 2

Meh

Side scrolling games are so 1980's.

This topic is closed for new posts.