back to article Mortal Kombat

Like Frankenstein’s Monster, Mortal Kombat has ever been the lumbering chimera, an amalgamation of individual parts thrown together, somehow brought to life much to the despondency of nature’s will. Mortal Kombat Two girls, one mug Take the series’ visuals, for example: ever shifting from one trend to another, as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

"Someone just watched the royal wedding coverage"

This gem posted only on page 4!

2. JDX Gold badge

2D?

Is this a classic 2D game (the game not the graphics) where you can move left/right and crouch/jump only, or can you move around a 3D arena also?

1. Lupus

Title title title.

No sidestepping for you, my lad or ladette. Whilst the stages are quite polygonal, you're stuck on the good old X/Y axis.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3 Test

Can we have a test of the PS3 version please, as its now the most common console.

4. D. M
    Flame

Only 80% ?

This is awesome. I almost wanted to buy a PS3 so I could play this game (also need to buy from overseas as our big brother gov decided to ban it here)..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Someone just watched the royal wedding coverage

That was priceless.

6. Graham Bartlett

@JDX

Yeah, that gets me too. When I was doing karate, I started with shotokan. But my last instructor (before I quit due to lack of free time) changed from pure shotokan to a goju-influenced version (called seijenkai, from a top bloke called Harry Cook) which very much focussed on getting off the line. So you don't go backwards and block, you get the hell out of the way and strike.

For fighting games where many characters' special moves involve a straightforward charge, the ability to sidestep would be a major innovation in the genre. I'm amazed that no-one has added this yet, considering it's been in FPSes for at least 15 years. ISTR Descent was the first game to add this, before iD added it to the original Doom engine for Heretic/Hexen.

1. D@v3

sidestepping

I'm sure you were (are?) able to do this in Tekken.

Havnt played it in a few years, so i may be mistaken. One of the things that annoyed me was that the game could descend into a circling match.

2. Mayhem

Strafing?

Actually, they've tried it several times.

Mortal Kombat 3 was the first attempt, along with I believe the early Soul Edge games.

It didn't end well.

Unfortunately what makes for more realism in terms of combat makes for pretty crap gameplay.

Half the delight is watching someone unleash the 500 hit Mega Combo of Doom!, but if the opponent can simply sidestep and watch it explode past them, then kick them in the back, well.

Also, it tends to be really hard to do two player 3D properly. For single player, you can put the camera behind the player, so you plan attacks over the shoulder and can line things up right. For two players on one screen though, the camera has to be purely side on to keep things even, and that makes judging depth really hard, especially for joe average.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like