back to article Guardian shuts local blogs

The Grauniad is shutting three local news blogs and likely laying off the three reporters concerned. The blogs were aimed at Cardiff, Edinburgh and Leeds and had a reporter, or "beatblogger", for each. The sites launched in early 2010 and were meant to develop: "new models for journalism and social engagement through a mix of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Millar
    Thumb Up

Excellent news

A bit less stream-of-conciousness bollox is always a good thing

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Coat

Is it wrong...

Is it wrong that my first thoughts were "Less bloggers in the world! About bloody time!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Re: Is it wrong

Er, yes, it is wrong. You meant /fewer/ bloggers, in which case your case was strong ;-)

2. Gilgamesh
      Headmaster

Yes, it is wrong

You should have thought "fewer bloggers in the world".

1. nyelvmark
        Paris Hilton

less or fewer?

It's interesting that two El Reg posters thought this worth commenting on. I think you're both showing your age.

For those who don't understand, I will explain that grammar books at one time insisted on "few - fewer - fewest" for countable nouns, and "little - less - least" for uncountable ones.

Unfortunately for grammar book writers, their works are not read by native speakers of the language, who suffer from an ailment known as "native speaker intuition". For this reason, respectable modern grammars try to reflect the way the language is actually used, rather than declaring that the way the author speaks is the only natural way, as decreed by God.

Paris, because she has fewer brains.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: less or fewer?

"Unfortunately for grammar book writers, their works are not read by native speakers of the language, who suffer from an ailment known as "native speaker intuition"."

That said, if you've learned languages that actively make the distinction between "less" and "fewer", you start to miss the counterpart of "more" that works like "fewer" (but in the opposite direction, of course), and want to reintroduce whichever word was in English to serve that purpose.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might have worked if ...

they hadn't been so appallingly badly written.

The guardian can now go back to basing it's worldview on London, America and "the rest".

1. Steve Evans

re: It might have worked if ...

"they hadn't been so appallingly badly written."

Do you mean the blogs, or the entire paper?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No loss

No loss really. I am sure there is no shortage of people willing to blog about trivial crap that happens in their neighbourhood - and most do it for free....

5. HocusPocus

Same again

They closed down Guardian Unlimited Talk recently too, sending many long time posters off to http://talk.notthetalk.com instead.

This slimming down will continue until Emily has destroyed a once great (if sprawling) empire.

1. nyelvmark

Emily?

Shurely that'sh Dorothy - I wash in the beeb once and everyone wash friendsh with her (hic).

This topic is closed for new posts.