back to article Level 3 pays $3bn for Global Crossing

Level 3 is acquiring fellow tier 1 network provider Global Crossing, bringing together two of the most notorious fibre-networking firms from the heyday of the dotcom boom. Level 3 will take over Global Crossing in an all-share deal, handing over 16 of its shares for every one of Global Crossing's. Working from Level 3's stock …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

level crossing?

Like the railroads and canal's in days of old the original investors get burnt and 10 years later someone gets a bargain.

Maybe the bubble will start again. I fancy another overpaid job.

1. Robert E A Harvey

soak the grannies

>the original investors get burnt and 10 years later someone gets a bargain.

Bit like the channel tunnel then. Sold off to the banks for a penny in the pound.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

Level3 were next on my list of Tier-1s to peer with as an upstream carrier. Would be interesting to integrate those 2 SP networks, although I suspect Level3 will simply treat GBLX as a downstream customer and nothing much, including the IGP integration, will change.

3. Isn't it obvious?
    FAIL

Bad math

Since, obviously 14.8 * 16 != 24.04, I checked; Nasdag:LVLT closed at 1.44 on Friday.

4. Badbob
    Coat

I like the railway analogies

Especially as Global Crossing's backbone network in the UK is installed alongside the railway after they bought out BRT in the 1990's.

Their hubs would be a secret if it wasn't for the fact that half the building I work in seems unoccupied and there is a secret door. I did try and talk a Thales engineer into letting me have a look one day (after all, I am a NR Signalling and Telecoms Engineer), but he was having none of it.

Oh, they also don't like it when you accidentally hack through one of their cables when replacing signalling equipment. Mines the orange one with the reflective stripes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like