back to article Sony Ericsson preps Gingerbread for Xperia X10

Sony Ericsson has changed its corporate mind and decided to upgrade its Xperia X10 smartphone's on-board software beyond Android 2.1 Eclair. The X10 is to get an Android 2.3 Gingerbread update, the handset maker has blogged. Only the X10 - not the the X10 Mini or X10 Mini Pro. There'll be a wee wait, mind. SE won't have the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Thanks for making monday bearable Reg...

Woo Hoo!

Brilliant news!

Can't Wait!

2. Conrad Longmore
    Thumb Up

Good

Good.

The damned thing shipped with a really out-of-date version of Android, but I think this redeems Sony Ericsson quite a lot when many other manufacturers offer about one update or so and then walk away..

3. Tigra 07
    IT Angle

Just saw in your picture...

Why would you use headphones and a jack on a phone like the X10 when Sony Ericsson make wireless headphones for £50?

£500 phone with cheap headphones?

1. Craig Chambers
      Thumb Up

Because it's a stock photo?

Looks like a stock marketing photo to me. As an ex-SE employee, I'm only surprised that one of the contacts is not Ricardo Montoya.

Seriously though, not everyone wants to pay £50 for bluetooth headphones when they may have already invested in some decent wired ones from a company with pedigree that work with any CE audio device.

Personally, I'm very pleased to hear this news. Here I thought I'd be stuck with an out of date phone for the last year of my 2 year contract.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Its Sony

I don't believe anything Sony says anymore. Way too many lies in the past.

Anyone who buys an Android phone from them is deranged.

Good news for those stuck with the X10 but if you're dumb enough to buy a new one then there's no hope for you :D

1. sabroni Silver badge
      FAIL

not just android

I've got a cheapy Sony Erricsson (a Spiro) and it is the most hideous phone I've ever owned. I'll never purchase another Sony phone, this one vexes me at least once a day.

5. Thomas 4
    FAIL

Huh?

This is probably a reading fail on my part but by upgrading to Gingerbread you'll have a brand shiny new media player. You'll just lose all of your films and music in the process.

Yet another winning idea from Sony!

1. Craig Chambers
      Stop

Sony Ericsson is not Sony.

It's a 50/50 joint venture that depending on location of the office has a greater or lesser affiliation with either of the parent companies e.g. people in Lund are much more affiliated with Ericsson, ditto people in Tokyo with Sony. Ultimately though, it is its own entity independent of the parent companies.

All I can say about your actual comment is that DRM is best avoided if you know how to sort out your own media, then you can't end up in the situation you describe.

2. bolccg
      WTF?

DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process

Yeah, this sort of BS is why DRM will never sit well with the consumer - you're always waiting for that hammer to clang down on you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not holding breath

The wait for 2.1 was so long it was one of the reasons I didn't buy an X10. The wait for updated firmware for many phones seems to be getting longer and longer. It seems to me that phones are released with firmware either out of date or functionally incomplete with the hope they'll fix all the problems when people start buying them. I don't think this is anyway to treat customers - phones should be finished and reasonably up to date when you buy them. Waiting for firmware updates is like buying into promises that don't always arrive.

7. krzanalyst
    Thumb Up

Good news on a Monday!

My hopes were dashed when Sony said they wouldn't upgrade past 2.1. But now I will have Flash support, able to run apps off my SD card and much more!! My phone will actually be current to the end of my 3 year contract. Yes! Thank you Sony!

8. krzanalyst
    Thumb Up

Thank you Sony!!

I hope this actually happens with Rogers in Canada! I was very disappointed when Sony said they would not go past 2.1 with this phone. If it gets Gingerbread, it will be a rockin phone for a few more years!!

9. chrisfl1963

Still waiting for 2.1 update

I'm still waiting for the update to the 2.1, Sony has not gave us the 2.1 in the US and I check everyday for updates. I hope they will just jump to the Gingerbread and not go to the 2.1 then update at a later time for the Gingerbread.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like