back to article Scarface blows onto Blu-ray

Fans of Brian de Palma's 1983 orgy of blood and cocaine Scarface will doubtless be queuing round the block when the digitally-remastered Blu-ray version of the film is released on 6 September. Craig Kornblau, Universal Studios Home Entertainment prez, enthused: "Nearly 30 years after it first exploded onto the screen, Scarface …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Marketing Fail?

What is the value of a 360p trailer for a Blu-Ray release?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Two words: Michelle Pfeiffer

Enough said.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

One word:

Overrated.

Massively overrated; hamming it up shouty shouty Pacino. Watching fifteen minutes of the Godfather 2 *on repeat* for two hours would be a better way to stimulate your cine-senses.

1. George Nacht

I concur

Better movies were done before and after. Pacino has made a better movies. De Palma has made a better movies. I saw it, I fairly enjoyed it, but I would be hard pressed to use the word "inspiration" in any sense near this movie...

2. Annihilator
      Coat

Hmm

Did you perhaps watch the 1932 original by mistake?

Though I accept your view on GF pt2.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Well then...

...fuck off and watch the Godfather 2 instead of trolling your petty opinions here.

4. jason 7
      Stop

Yep Overrated

I got to watch it first 10 years ago and I wondered what all the fuss was about.

The acting is either wooden or over the the top. The plot is lumpy and then the disco scene....

Ouch uncomfortable.

Not a great movie. Take off the rose tinted Sue Pollard sized sun glasses.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Headmaster

If you think the acting was OTT...

... you've missed the point. Tony Montana is meant to be OTT. He's a poor Cuban kid who has never seen money, never seen power wielded responsibly. Suddenly he can do whatever he wants, and he goes mad with it. That's the plot.

It's not the best movie ever, but it's not awful.

4. Gobhicks
    Happy

Two Words:

Modern Shakespeare

All the truly great movies have massive flaws, and ham goes with the territory.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Foresight

Prescient of them to record 7 channels of audio in 1983.

Or is this just the normal take an original mono/stereo track and put all the background on the rear channels effect?

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

TV version

They should stick the censored TV version audio track on the disc too, they're hilarious.

"How did you get the scar tough guy, eating pineapple?"

7. E 2

Movies

Hollywood need to produce better movies not push more pixels. Crap at DVD rez is still crap at BluRay rez.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never mind Scarface

When are we getting Lawrence of Arabia, The Big Country, etc?

9. DEAD4EVER
    Go

scarface bluray

having never heard about scarface in the past i certainly do now lol. its a cracking film though its strong in the language department its still a great movie im hoping to get this on bluray soon.

10. John Tserkezis
    Thumb Down

Watch how quick I go to get it...

"Friends of Tony Montana can also avail themselves of a Special Limited Edition, boasting"

"....., a digital copy of the film and.....".

Every time I've seen this "feature" it meant it contains a "computer readable" video file (*)

(*) Only playable as long as you use our very proprietary video player software.

And it's copy protected to the hilt - by means of a serial number sticker on the DVD/Blueray jacket.

And you need Internet Access to our web site to register said serial number, along with your name, address, date of birth, and other associated security information before applying.

And there are more strings attached to this than the woolen jumper my grandmother knitted.

All for something that's Been There And Done That (TM)?

Heck, you can download that from the torrents and bypass the trouble of ripping it yourself.

Unless you're buying it for the High Res BlueRay disk, which gives you software rendered pixels without actually proving any new image data.

What? You were expecting more from Hollywood?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a very good film

I picked this film up, not on Blu-ray, not even on DVD, but on VHS video cassette last summer. It cost ten pence in a charity shop. This article inspired me to actually watch it. Well, I watched the first two thirds. I don't know whether I'll bother watching the rest. It's not a good film. Tony Montana and his sidekick are good characters, I guess, but none of the other characters come alive, and the plot is really bad. I'm glad I didn't pay more than ten pence for it. It's very unlikely I'd want to watch it again.

It's not that I don't like gangster films. I thought "Donnie Brasco" and "Goodfellas" were excellent. I would watch those two again.

This topic is closed for new posts.