back to article HP revs NonStop blades with Tukwila Itaniums

Hewlett-Packard is moving its NonStop fault tolerant database and operating system up to the latest "Tukwila" Itanium 9300 technology from chip partner Intel. The quad-core Itanium 9300s were launched by Intel back in February 2010, and HP revamped its Integrity blade servers to make use of these chips and to allow for them to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

12 months to support a single socket blade

We waited 12 months for HP to support the single socket Tukwila blade. Wow I am aghast. We are going to run out and replace our existing infrastruture with Tukwia for what...basically nothing.

The cores don't really run faster. The only offering is 4 cores. and Leo is a welcome fresh air in the industry. if you put the IT vendors on a measuring stick you would have Oracle on the far left being kool-aide. IBM would be in the middle as the trusted and tried milk and on the far right you have HP who is apple juice. Leo has drunken the apple juice and wants to emulate Steve Jobs but has forgotten that except for printer ink and laptops they are falling quickly behind and basically no software products and very little left to buy.

2. Kiralexi

Not that simple

This update isn't as big as I, and at least some NSK customers I've worked with, would like; it would be nice to have an increase in the maximum number of logical processors, for instance. That being said, saying it's "basically nothing" is just wrong. The big I/O and memory bandwidth boost alone is enough to make a difference, and the doubled amount of cores helps too. I doubt that existing IA64 BladeSystem customers will view this as a critical upgrade, but older MIPS and early Itanium NonStop customers are probably looking hard at this.

There's also the advantage that its socket-compatible with the next-gen Poulson processors. If Intel can get these out on time (a big "if" with Itanium), and assuming Power7+ doesn't blow anyone away, these should be the fastest general-purpose processors available when they come out.

3. Allison Park
    Dead Vulture

Oracle puts last nail in coffin of Itanium

"After multiple conversations with Intel senior management, Oracle has decided to discontinue all software development on the Intel Itanium microprocessor," Oracle said in a statement late Tuesday. "Intel management made it clear that their strategic focus is on their x86 microprocessor and that Itanium was nearing the end of its life," the company added. "

We will miss you Matt B.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like