back to article Anonymous hacks Westboro Baptists during live interview

Denizens of Anonymous defaced a website run by the Westboro Baptist Church on Thursday during a live radio interview. An ongoing spat between the controversial church of GodHatesFags fame and the loosely knit hacking collective began last weekend with a message threatening hacks against websites that, depending on who you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rule 14: do not argue with trolls, for this is how trolls win

exactly who is troliing who here is neither clear nor particularly interesting

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Troll

Over 9,000 sins...

He's gonna burn in hell.

PMSL. ;o)

2. lansalot
    Unhappy

dear oh dear...

How completely depressing... :-(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

lulz

Well played /b/rothers, I salute you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah?

You may salute Anon/B board, but they have just given WBC a whole load of publicity that they wouldn't have otherwise had. I tend to view WBC as a bunch of nutters who should be seen and heard of as little as possible. Allowing them to get plastered all over the news is not a good thing.

Anonymous, however are rapidly moving into the territory of Internet bully #1. At least the WBC stand up, in public and profess their hateful bile. Anon lurk around on the Internet taking down sites which they disagree with, they are vigilanties with presumably good intentions, but actually they are doing more damage than good at the moment, in my opinion.

1. Chad H.

@ Anon

Huh.. Do you know who anonomous are?

Anonymous have been running anti-Church of Scientology protests for years, in public. Its only just recently they've added those who target Wikileaks, and other attempts to squash freedom of speech to their target list.

Anon have no problems getting "physical".

4. frank ly

Jest a Theory

I have a theory that Shirley Phelps-Roper is in fact, 'Jester'. Notice the fixed, manic grin; the painfully constructed appearance of jollity and clumsy bonhomie. See how she weaves strawmen with a smile then cuts them down before they get a chance to move. Then again, maybe I'm paranoid; maybe she's paranoid. Who knows ......?

1. Chad H.
      Joke

If it was Shirley

Then surely she'd be Harley-Quinn, not Jester.

2. DJ
      Happy

#frank ly

Surely you jest.

(Sorry)

5. Duncan Hothersall

The "wider Westboro Baptist Church"?

You mean her dad and her brothers and sisters? It ain't that wide.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Not so sure..

I mean, I've *seen* yanks on the TV.. If there was ever a word to describe them it's "wide".

6. neb
    Grenade

@It ain't that wide

but she is the diiiirty scutter

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Really though...

Who cares?

8. TRT Silver badge

Shakes head...

Touched. Definitely touched,

1. hplasm
      Thumb Up

By the hand

of Jeeeeebus!!

9. Alan Bourke
    Pint

Westboro Baptist Church

Are high-resolution, weapons-grade loons.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Scientology

Ah brilliant.. I get an advert for scientology when I view the screenshot.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

Lol is Jester the new ebaumsworld?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marlboro Baptist Church

They gotta be smokin' some wild sh1t.

1. Jimbo 6
      Joke

Re: Marlboro Baptist Church

Presumably, their god *loves* fags

13. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

My favourite part...

The connection has timed out

The server at godhatesfags.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

14. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Westboro are amazing

but I don't want to look.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"sending us links"

Twitter was sending us links?

LOL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN

I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bad woman

I'm not standing up for Anonymous, but I think that good Christians should stand up and denounce these haters.

Some of the things they say are hate speech, if you were to speak of "Blacks" or "Jews" in such a manner, it would be a crime.

How can we think we are different than the middle east if also allow people to spread hate "in the name of god".

17. Sarah Davis
    FAIL

ego, stupidity, & religion - an ideal fascist cocktail

why doesn't that stupid woman shut-up whent the host or 'anon' rep are talking? Does she not know how to debate, or conduct a 3 way interview? She argues like a beligerent child, not like an informed adult. She's uninformed, impolite, and appears unable to hold an intelligent debate.

As for God creating the internet for Westbro,...!!!! wtf, how can you explain someting to someone who is far to stupid to comprehend an explanation ?

I suppose Westbro feel any publicity is good, right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: ego, stupidity, & religion - an ideal fascist cocktail

"She argues like a beligerent child, not like an informed adult. She's uninformed, impolite, and appears unable to hold an intelligent debate."

I guess she's an ideal "debating" candidate for the conservative punditry circuit, then. Having said that, a lot of political debate is pretty dismal in the western democracies: people spouting their ill-informed dogma rather than listening to people in the know.

2. Chad H.
      Troll

@ Sarah

It is not her role to "Debate" or give time to the other side - she is not attempting to give rational debate.

It is her role, and the policy of the WBC to simply keep talking and talking and talking and shouting and shouting over all others.

She in fact, a bridge-swelling billy-goat harasser.

18. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chad H.
      WTF?

Are you saying

That they're running their website of an ADSL account?

Doesn't seem to be the greatest of ideas given the limited upload bandwidth of your average ADSL account.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No...

There have been suggestions of knocking them offline before. WBC host their servers on a connection provided by a 'proper' webhost rather than just an ADSL connection.

The apostrophe's around proper are there because it would appear that a member of Fred Phelp's family owns the hosting provider. Can't remember much else at this point though!

Definitely not ADSL, but definitely a bunch of nutters

19. Maty

With Christians like that ...

The emperor Nero seems a more sympathetic character.

1. John F***ing Stepp
      Happy

Need.More.Lions.

Kittens are nice.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

God forgive me!!!

My deity is sending me to hell for watching that WBC nutter.

Posting anonymously cause its funny.

21. ich
    Stop

my father once told me..

Never argue with idiots. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

speaking of parental advice

The last time I went to a church 'service' (the catholic brand, decades ago), advice from dear mum came to mind just about the time everyone was supposed to shuffle to the front of the church and eat this wafer thing (communion) ..

"don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been."

yuck.

Aside from that I don't believe an invisible sky fairy is watching each and every one of us, with a list of 10 things we should not do...

22. sisk

Enough already.

I'm all for giving Anonymous attention. Their goals are (generally) admirable even if their methods are questionable.

That said I'm begging all you at El Reg to drop this story. Just don't write on it, or anything else dealing with WBC, anymore. Seriously, WBC gets WAY too much press. Until world + dog agree to just ignore thier dumb asses they're going to continue to get worse and worse, thinking up more and more outrageous methods of getting attention.

23. Morpho Devilpepper
    WTF?

Bad idea

As much as I hate the WBC, this just gives them ammunition that they can hand to their minions to fling at the sane folk, in lieu of the usual fistful of poo.

First of all, Anon (or Jester, or whatever) should not have bragged about it; that's free publicity for America's foremost hate institution. Secondly, they should have just quietly rerouted the site to some hideous fetish link. Not that I'm encouraging crime, mind you...just saying, that would've been better.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The WB Church on Picketing Funerals, Music and Eating Your Babies

As if they weren't strange enough, take a listen to their amusing music covers in this mini documentary:

http://www.danmorris.com/2011/02/17/westboro-baptist-church-pickets-salt-lake-city-video-2/

Read More: http://www.urlesque.com/2011/02/25/anonymous-hacks-westboro-baptist-church-tv/#ixzz1F1XoOvdT

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the best part of the video

was when someone off-camera tried to tell her that the web site was fucked.

26. Mike 16
    Troll

One More Time...

WBC are not a church, and are (probably) not nutters. They are a (mostly family) pack of lawyers who deliberately provoke people (e.g. by harassing them at funerals) into doing something they can be sued for. They specialize in suing cities when police don't cross every t and dot every i.

In short, they are trolls who have monetized their hobby. Don't feed them.

27. C 2
    Paris Hilton

Westboro Baptist Church = Landover Baptist

minus the satire of course ..

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Looks like Paris has a headache too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like