back to article National Audit Office: Open data the key to 'big society'

Parliament's finance watchdog has said that stronger information strategies and more transparent government data will be key to the 'big society' agenda. The delivery of public services by charities, voluntary groups and social enterprises will require a "step change" from earlier attempts to open up government, such as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Baudwalk
    Happy

How many...

...laptops, CD-Rs and USB drives with sensitive data have been left lying around by various government employees?

Just how much more openness do they want?

2. Wommit
    Thumb Down

They're wrong.

The way to get more people volunteering and working in, and for, 'the community' (tm) is to reduce the red tape and bureaucracy involved in doing so.

I read in the ES last night about a woman who wanted to 'do something'. While she is obviously insane, this is a laudable ambition.

She decided that visiting the elderly was within her means and started to find out how to 'do it.

However it took her three months to gather the required 'permission'. That included the charity involved picking up references from the electoral register and her work, and her having a CRB check. Then the spending cuts meant that the charity involved lost part of its funding and this particular program was being terminated.

How sad she was, she couldn't visit the elderly any more.

Bugger.

Now all of this raises a few questions.

1) Why did it take so long to get her in touch with someone who could use a visitor? If this process had been quicker perhaps she would, even now & without the assistance of the charity, still be visiting someone.

2) Why didn't she look up and down her own street. I bet she'd find a couple of elderly people within two minutes walk. They might dribble a bit and smell of wee, but that's a hazard with any of us over 30. She could start to speak to them in the street. Perhaps help them carry shopping back from the local shop etc. You know, stuff that we used to do in the olden days. Perhaps she could have made a couple of FRIENDS!!!

No need for CRB checks. If she's bad then hammer her hard. If she's not then why bother with her in the first place. After all we don't start checking the youth of today to see if they're going to be thieves and burglars do we? Oh wait, some ones already proposed that we should do that.

3. Mike Pellatt
    Flame

Commercial-in-Confidence

As long as the really, really significant information on how OUR money is spent remains hidden behind commercial confidence undertakings, the community & voluntary sectors (and SMBs for that matter) will remain on the back foot. And we'll never know if we're being taken for a ride.

When public money is being spent, every bit about it should be freely available. It should be a standard condition of public sector contracts that the financials and the Ts & Cs are published, and any company that doesn't like it can look elsewhere for their business.

I also look forward to Hell freezing over.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No one (with any sense) believes the Condems

Charitable bodies delivering public services. YEAH RIGHT!

Stupid public school boy clearly demonstrating how stupid he really is.

Well done English for voting them in! (Oh, wait, we didn't!)

1. David Neil

Never stopped the RNLI

Or Mountain Rescue, or the Salvation Army..

You do realise that it is more efficient to get things done without an army of civil servants checking every form in triplicate?

2. Red Bren
      Coat

Charitable bodies delivering public services

I can't wait to take my daughter to the local public^H^H^H^H^H^H evangelical christian baths for walking lessons.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a simple question here..

..which consultancy is going to "help" the government with this new idea? Let's simply watch the money. I have a feeling I know where this is going - the old "follow the money" rule still works.

6. Grivas Bo Diddly Harm
    Black Helicopters

Yeah, Right...

Look forward to reading that Al Yamamah report in full, guys.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like