back to article Oracle floats Java EE for cloud

Oracle has begun pushing another new version of Java while planning to shake up the group responsible for Java whose rules it has ignored in the past. The database giant says it's working with the Java Community Process (JCP) on a set of proposals for Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 7.0 that will make Java EE "relevant for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. THUFIR HAWAT
    WTF?

Oracle broke the JCP's rules by refusing to grant Apache a license

"However, since the release of OpenJDK, a specific license allow to run the JCK in the OpenJDK context, that is for any GPL implementation deriving substantially from OpenJDK [4][5]." -wikipedia

I dunno, the assertion that Oracle broke rules seems a bit contentious. If they broke a rule, then why no lawsuit to that effect? Many companies, to take one, IBM, would like to see Java under the ASL.

Or, maybe there's suck a JCP rule (or was, I dunno). I, perhaps, naively, thought that Sun/Oracle could pretty much do as they please within the JCP and the TCK. If not...

1. Tim Parker

Re : Oracle broke the JCP's rules..

"I dunno, the assertion that Oracle broke rules seems a bit contentious."

Not really - and there's form on this from Sun. A bit of reading around will fill in the details for you, but in brief - there was an obligation to provide test suites in some circumstances (which Apache complied with), often touted as an incentive for 3rd party implementations, but Sun refused to supply. Oracle was one of a number of JCP members who cried foul. Forward on in time, Oracle owns the JCP process and goes back on it's stance.

"If they broke a rule, then why no lawsuit to that effect? "

Lots of reasons, including the depth of pockets, whether it's enforceable in the first place and futility (rules can and will be changed)

"Many companies, to take one, IBM, would like to see Java under the ASL."

IBM ?... maybe a while ago - they've since been 'persuaded' to march under the OpenJDK banner...

(Thufir Hawat - there's a name i've not seen in a long while !)

2. randy.burgess

No such rule

No, there has never been a rule requiring licensing of the TCK. The test suites and the TCK are not the same.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/megaphone_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like