back to article Devs gather for beer and burgers in Belgium

This was my first FOSDEM, in Brussels, and it was a goodie. The Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) was also free as in beer (OK, it was €3 for a beer token), easy to get to and neither outrageously expensive nor twee. Somewhere north of 6,000 attendees, 200+ hours of talks, and other " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petur
    Boffin

Carbon footprint talks

You clearly missed the Flukso community metering talk in the embedded room (Lameere)

And next time, El Reg should announce its presence *before* it starts ;)

2. Marco van de Voort
    Gates Horns

Orval on campus

The Orval on Campus was Eur 2 :-)

Anyway, did you also see the LLVM talk of the BSDs ? (end of saturday, BSD room? Can't remember the exact title). Nice practical information on porting , though the keynote was way more informative.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Ah Belgium!

The Belgians make more different types of beer than any other nation on earth. Yum!

4. Nick Kew
    Pint

No beer

The beer event is, alas, a no-go area if you can't cope with excessive smoke. That includes outdoor areas.

But yes, in other ways it's what a geek meet should be. Lots of good contents, connectivity, a keysigning, and a very bare-bones setup with no flab (not even coffee or lunch - you're on your own).

It can't really be 5km from town ... it was only a half-hour brisk walk when I timed myself on the Saturday ... If it really was that far I'd be looking into Brussels's boris-style bikes.

1. petur
      Pint

@Nick Kew

We don't bother to go to the Delirium cafe anymore because (1) it is crowded, (2) full of smoke and (3) expensive.

There are affordable smoke-free pubs nearby ;)

But yes, a pitty the Belgian politicians are a spineless bunch of idiots, I'd love to have smoking banned from every public place, not just restaurants.

5. maclovinz
    Happy

Simon says...

Junket time!!!!

6. petur
    Unhappy

downvoting

Looks like some FOSS hater is downvoting... congrats!

BTW, While the LLVM talk did sound nice, trying it later on was not. Looks like they aren't able to cross-compile yet, which is pretty essential if you're into embedded :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like