back to article Microsoft files US trade complaint against TiVo

Microsoft has filed a US trade complaint against TiVo in which it has demanded the company halts the import of television set-top boxes. In the complaint, which was presented to the US International Trade Commission in Washington yesterday, Microsoft accused TiVo of infringing four patents, Bloomberg reports. The software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Which...

...patents?

2. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Fail

Those who can't do, sue.

3. Magnus_Pym

'Oy. Tivo'...

... 'my mate says you spilled his pint.' Says Microsoft, 'Wha'cho gonna do about it'

4. Sureo
    Unhappy

Tivo?

Better rush out and get one while you can. Or not.

5. JaitcH
    FAIL

Guess Microsoft needs the money

When things get tough, financially, litigation usually heats up.

Since the MS product line success is shrinking, they have to get income from somewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

There is no point in this sort of article, if you don't say which patents are involved. It may be legitimate, it may be cack, we have no way of knowing.

7. cmaurand
    Linux

Tivo runs Linux

Tivo is based on open source software. Whatever they did was probably developed independently and there was probably prior art.

8. Tempest
    Unhappy

Given the trash that litters our screens ...

is it really worth recording.

My cable TV has hundreds of channels including a few tens of 'foreign' (English language) channels and few are worth recording.

There are wall to wall re-runs on Discovery and National Geographic, the same crazy is still teasing some lions on Animal Planet, and all the old movies about how the Americans won the second world war are on max.

Zombies and werewolves dominate the Murdoch channel, AXN is practically 80% CSI re-runs with the balance filled with America's worst.

Thank goodness for radio ... with your mind as the studio!

9. Twilight

software patents? what are they thinking?

I just don't understand how any government could think that software (or business method) patents are reasonable.

I work in IT and, even if not in my fields of expertise, the majority of software patents fail the "obvious" test just from me reading them - I expect that it would be more like 99.99% are obvious if you ask any developer working in the field the patent applies to.

Yet, they routinely get approved in the US (not sure about EU).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like