back to article Nintendo details 3DS roll-out

Nintendo says gamers will be able to get its forthcoming handheld console - sorry, "personal entertainment system" - the 3DS, on 25 March. Today it revealed a bunch of features to whet appetites while they wait. The much anticipated device will hit Europe two days before the US and although prices are to be set by retailers, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

$250 or £230

Are they trying to compete with Microsoft?

Grey import it is then...

Unhappy

That price..

>£230

For a handheld that has had a region lock slapped on it, has crap for battery life...no ninty, just no. Hopefully someone can "help" with that there lock.

Joke

Me? The 13th Duke of Wybourne?

Playing 'Dead or Alive'?

In 3D?

On a touchscreen?

With my reputation?

What were they thinking?

Nya
FAIL

Over priced

Way over priced for what you get. It's cheaper to get Samsung's new Android MP3 Player come gaming phone without a phone thingy.

Now, chop £100 off that price and maybe, but £220?! you have to be kidding me!

WTF?

StreetPass

"StreetPass, a tool that automatically links devices as they cross paths - even when running in sleep mode."

That'll do wonders for the disappointing battery life...

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/10/nintendo_3ds_launch_specs/

Same price as a PS3 console then.

WTF?

Thumb Down

Thanks for screwing UK buyers

So $250 = £230 ?

To quote Dragons Den "thanks, but I'm out".

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Bluetooth?

If Nintendo is smart, it will be Bluetooth enabled so as to be used as a classic controller for the Wii. Especially if you want to share Mii's between console and portable.

Thumb Down

$/£ <= Is not a valid title!

OK, I know that US prices are quoted sans sales tax (usually around 7 or 8%, not our 20%) but even so, as usual the price comparison is lousy!

Check my maths for me, I'm assuming the £230 price quoted is including VAT;

$250 = ~£156 OK...

$250 + 8% Sales Tax = $270 = ~£168 <= Price that should be used for comparison!

£156 + 20% Sales Tax (VAT) = £187 <= The difference in tax rates accounts for £19 (£187 - £168)

So how can they account for the other £43 ([£230 - £156] + £19) price difference. It doesn't cost that much to ship a single DS from the US, even assuming they were shipped to the US from China/Taiwan and then back to the UK!

FAIL

UK/EU price premium

I was going to buy a 3DS at launch. But not with that price premium. Who do Nintendo think they are kidding?

Happy

ya wha?

"kiddy stuff like exclusive Shaun the Sheep videos"

I love Sean the Sheep!

Unhappy

Thanks Nintendo Europe

>£200 for a region locked handheld..

..more expensive than a Xbox 360.

This could be a hard sell

Perhaps I'm being picky...

... but having "3D" in so many game titles seems a little redundant on a 3D console.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017