back to article IBM's mainframe-blade hybrid to do Windows

IBM is rejiggering its hybrid mainframe-blade "system of systems" that was announced last July and that began shipping in the fall. Big Blue is also providing details of the hypervisors, networks, and operating systems that will be supported on the hybrid configuration, which marries a System zEnterprise 196 mainframe with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Close, but no cigar.

FSP = Flexible Service Processor.

HMC = Hardware Management Console.

The virtualised data centre gets one step closer.

2. Steven Jones

The point of this?

I'm not wholly sure I see the point of all this (at least from a customer's point of view). There seems to be precious little real commonality of technology between the mainframe side and Xeon blades. I hope this thing is properly modular so that swapping out your mainframe to a later generation doesn't mean you have to change all the Xeon blades too (or, more likely, vice-versa).

The clue on the this would appear to be the wording of a "land grab" by the mainframe execs. That rather gives an impression of IT department warlords at battle with one another, with this as another weapon. Not a great way to run any company.

I rather suspect that, in the x86/x64 space, IT managers are better off picking the best and most cost-effective solution for their purposes (which might well be a single-source supplier), but it's not obvious what a mainframe integration will do for most customers, even the mainframe ones unless that's almost all that they do.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IPv6

It's a pain to configure as well, IPv6 is mandatory when setting the IEMN link and based on the *ahem* wonderful atempt at installing our first z196, it would be nice if the engineers had documentation that was correct.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like